ML-2 Metal Core review by Boss

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Boss: ML-2 Metal Core

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Oh god, where do I start? This pedal has no life! I repeat, no life! I couldn't believe how terrible this pedal was. I've tried it through some Ibanez guitars, and Jackson guitars through some Peavy, Traynor, and Marshall amps. Okay, everything sounds the same! That is in caps because it is important. Sure, you can adjust the low and high knobs, but it throws the frequency of sound out the window. The distortion is either too much (too buzzy) or too thin. Get used to your amp's EQ, because you will fiddle with it for a good 45 minutes trying to get a decent sound. The high's sound way too thin. You get that paper-mache sort of crinkly sound at anything past 10 O Clock. Yes, I know, it's that bad. Lows aren't that much different. You play at 12 O Clock and the bass overpowers everything. Death Metal distortion? Hell no. I play styles from Death to funk, adn this pedal wont hit anything. Too bassy for thrash, too thin for death, and too cold for classic rock. I'm sorry, but this pedal just sounds so generic. It's hard to get a good tone out of it that is unique. I can bet 9/10 people who use this pedal have the same settings on their pedal, because there are only a few combinations that make this pedal sound acceptable (but not good). I'd really look into another distortion pedal to achieve a tone close to any famous artist, unless you want to sound like a 10 year old trying to play metal with a Squier sarter kit (no offence though).

I got this pedal when my other pedal got lent out and I needed a replacement for a few weeks. Geez, I'm sorry Boss, but you dropped the ball. This is a really thin sounding pedal, and does not count for much more than your amps distortion. Take it from a guy Who's been playing for a few years to tell you what tone is, and this does not have it. I've tried coaxing a good metal sound out of this, and came up with nothing. It is a good pedal in everything except what it produces. The only major problem is the tone of the pedal. If Boss could make a tighter and more smooth pedal that hits every EQ range, that would be a great replacement. For $10 cheaper, get a Metal Muff. You'll love it more than what Boss tried to do.

Okay, this is a reliable pedal. Dropped it first day I got it (a few minutes after I plugged it in) and not a scratch or dent on it! I've had it for a while and is as flwless straight out of the box. Really, if you know anything about Boss pedals, you'll know that this will last you!

As far as this pedal goes, it is fairly easy to use. They're aren't many knobs to adjust, and all of them are responsive enough to let you know what you're doing. This pedal gives good response from anything you do, as far as turning down the distortion, or adjusting any of the knobs.

taytay8b
    wow, I played this at my local guitar store. what piece of crap, doesn't sound good at all and you have no mids. I have a Boss MT-2 (Metal Zone) and I love it, I couldn't be any happier. I would get the MT-2 if you're looking for more EQ settings and better distortion.
    DarkLordArthur
    hey, i need an opinion, is the boss metalcore better than the digitech death metal? I personally think the boss is better but i want to hear others opinion