ML-2 Metal Core review by Boss

Boss: ML-2 Metal Core

I use an Ibanez SA220FM through a Marshall MG50DFX and with the high, mid and low controls on my amps clean channel with the pedals high and low controls, there is endless possabilies with settings. This pedal is suprisingly quite, I'd expect atlest a little bit of noise but it very quite untill you pull out a big chunky chord. I listen to bands like B.M.F.V, Trivium and Atreyu aswell as bands like Children Of Bodom, In Flames and Parkway Drive and I can get pretty decent sounds for all of the bands. The distortion on this pedal is insane.

This is definately the best metal amp I've ever come across. I've been playing for 5 years now and played some of my mates other distortion pedals and most of them don't even compare to this one. I got this becasue the shop guy recomended it as the best distortion pedal he had in the store. The thing I like about this pedal is just how much distortion it has, I'm kind of an addict and this pedal just goes way past anything I've ever played. I'd defs get it agen if I lost it because it's just such a good pedal. Also the simplicity of it is pretty exicting for me, I had complitcated pedals with too many buttons and nobs that are just there for show.

As I mentioned before, this pedal is indestructable. I've had it for a while and I abuse it so much yet it still sounds good as new. I'd definately depend on it at a gig without a back-up as long as I had the power supply although it does relativly well without it. Stomp on this as hard as you can and I bet you can't break it.

This beast of an amp includes 4 nobs. Level, High, Low and Dist. With just these 4 nobs, I can get basically any metal sound I want. it's got a good battery life although I'd recomend buying the power pack and it's practially indesructable. it's easy to press down and the nobs turn quite easily to get that perfect amount. There are so many different sounds you can get out of this, it's hard to not find a good sound.

xXChimairaXx
    SL!!! wrote: CobainenHeralyn wrote: BWAHAHAHAHA you know hardcore has reached an all time low when boss makes a ****ing "metalcore" pedal...whats the standard metalcore gear now? A 5150, ESP Viper and this thing? That's kind of true. That's really disappointing though. There used to be a lot of great metalcore bands in the nineties, like Converge and Coalesce. As I Lay Dying and other crap bands have ruined it. Maybe Between the Buried and Me could save it, but i like hardcore better anyway.
    Wow. You did not just go there saying As I Lay Dying ruined metalcore. What an idiot. BTBM...ugh. The Human Abstract is better.
    prototypep666
    piratemetalhead wrote: hence y its called the METALcore pedal But the metalcore genre is a complete abomination of metal! Anyways, right now, my effects pedal is just turning the gain all the way up with the overdrive on. XP
    complete abomination of metal? are u ****ing out of ur mind? listen to bands like killswitch engage and tell me metalcore is an abomination then
    mr_snuggle
    grimevil wrote: This pedal may blow away the MT-2 Metal Zone, but the Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff blows this one away. It is much more versitile, has a much better tone and is cheaper than the Metal Zone.
    i would have to disagree the metal muff is totally badass, and has a buttload of gain, but i think for a 3 band eq, it is limited in tone. almost all of my artificial harmonics sounded the same (my shitty line 6's channel sounded more diverse). yes, this pedal has only 2 eqs but if you dial in a decent setting on the amp then apply the pedals eq, you can find a nice tone. the actual distortion of the metalcore totally beats down the metal muff. but its all about what sound you want if you like newer hardcore/metalcore (as its rightly dubbed) this pedal works but if you like that real nasty biting tone that hurts so good, then the metal muff is a great option, and it has a boost on it idk how the metal zone fares though, the name enough just makes me stay away. METAL ZONE...really? not that this ones name is any better hahahaha
    Atheistgreek
    EpiExplorer
    Its just the name of the pedal, its not even meant for any 'metalcore' bollocks when talking about music. Its a Death Metal Pedal through and through.
    flying V boy
    ....i need a distortion pedal but i cant decide between the boss ml-2,boss mt-2 or the mxr dd10 dime distortion pedal. i have a schecter v 1 hellraiser, roland cube 80 x and a boss ns2 noise supressor(makes feed back a thing of the past) ps i play death metal and thrash metal (think machine head-necrophagist) thank you
    EpiExplorer
    I got this because it sounds exactly like Opeths Ghost Reveries album o.o Hasnt faulted me since.
    Atheistgreek
    EpiExplorer wrote: Atheistgreek wrote: I have a line 6 spider and i ll get soon a jackson dkmg (EMGs 81-85). What dou you think is the best pedal to play anything metal( thrash, groove and heavy the most)?? Metal core(it sounded heaviest to me in some soundcheck videos in youtube), Metal zone or something else??? Thanks This one is your safest bet. As long as your guitar is above 500 then its going to sound immense. but keep the Gain at 7...lest we forget that too much dist killed the music. Admit it guys, grindcore is a terrible waste of time. 'oh look at us, we make songs that are 5 seconds long and our vocalist sounds like a 5 year old being raped till she screams about hating the government' not to mention the idea gets old and then the low quality production makes every single band sound the same. but I digress O.0 but yeah, this is probably the best pedal for distortion in existance really o.o MT-2 isnt as distorty, Death metal is akward to use..so yeah.
    thanks
    LTD/ESP
    Should I get a MT-2 or ML-2 to play old-school and new-school Metallica??
    Kronos09
    I play a lot of metallica and the ML-2 makes a great sound. I play an ESP LTD EC-50 and the metal core gives it a great metallic sound. you can use this for any kind of metal sound
    winniethepunk
    Guyz, I need some ideas for how to make a good pedal setup for nu-metal sound to play live.. what pedals do u think should be the musts of the setup, what are optional?! Boss ML-2, Digitech DF 7 seems to be the good options for distortion.. a Noise Supressor pedal would be cool probably.. Do I really need Delay, Chorus and all other modulations or any acoustic pedal.. How about an equalizer?! I'm not a a pro, so help me with your knowledge please, thank you..
    dx4life68
    I wouldn't of bought this pedal, but my metal zone randomly stopped working so i figured metal core being the most recent boss distortion metal pedal should be much better then metal zone. When I gave it a try, I found it made way too much noise. I play with an Ibanez RG421 on a Marshall AV50watt amp and with my setup i found metal zone was atleast ten times better then metal core. I can probably get all the metal core distortion and more on a metal zone. I play mostly metallica, megadeth, pantera, anthrax, slayer, and i couldn't find any good settings on the metal core for any of these bands. I just got back from the music store after buying another metal zone, so all you metal zone owners who are debating on getting metal core because its newer don't bother... i think i'm gonna use mine as a paper weight.
    kellogg777
    the metal core is indeed pretty awesome,but i have a question for anybody that can answer it. I use the metal core with a Line 6 Spider III, and for some reason it makes more of a difference when i have it set to the clean channel than when i have it on metal. why is that?
    model_15
    this pedal totally complements my set-up ibanez: rg7321 81-7 bridge 60-7 neck fender frontman 212r kind of a weird setup
    StraightHate
    This is why I love my GT-8. This pedal is OK for what it does but sonically limited, IMO.
    RGshred88
    sry....but this pedal sounds horrible...to me at least. if u want a clearly digital sound by all means get it...otherwise no
    bla556
    to me this is the worst distortion pedal i've ever heard (except for behringer's, but they do not count as real pedals). no tone, horribly fuzzy... you can't play chords with it, it sounds totally digital and has too much crappy gain for every music. most undefined sound i've ever heard. personally i play the mt-2 and it's so much better. not that digital, more versatile, clearer sound. of course not the best pedal out there, but enough for my needs.
    decayingdave
    If this is half as good as the HM-2, then I'd like to thrash it to death just to annoy the neighborhood, as the sound with these heavy pedals is usually dirty and distorted, and tends to take a dump on delicate sound. Still - is there anyone here who isn't ranting on about tone and other p*ssy concerns? This is a metal pedal... If you want to play Extreme Genres properly then you're going to have to say goodbye to clean settings, if you think they're so important then you should stick to lighter genres. Most peoples complaints are against the genre, not the sound - making their rants an invalid argument. Still, an awesome and insightful review, kudos.
    afrohitman13
    as many people said this pedal is not for anything but metal, so if you wish to play other music with this i suggest go with a lighter distortion pedal what i do is use my marshall's distortion to play other things but definitly buy this pedal for those crunchy metal riffs and rebember that nothing is more durable than a boos pedal
    mj2007
    i've heard people say the electro harmonix metal muff top boost (i think i got the name right) is as good if not even better than this. thoughts anyone?
    gizmodious
    Great for metal, but its not flexible at all. Doesnt get more crunchy than this folks.
    MetalManiac_86
    I have an MT-2. I tried both of these at my music store before buying and the MT-2 is definitely more versatile. Like was said, you can basically make the MT sound like the ML anyway. The ML is more for bottom end you can't get half the tone out of it. Still, a good pedal but I feel the MT is superior overall.
    EpiExplorer
    element1385 wrote: what are some good setting on the metal core?
    Everything to full! Maybe >.> Uhm, try level at 8, low at 5, high at 10 and gain at 10, you get a good machine head type sound o.o
    shaymack37
    Distortion wise I own a boss metalzone and a digitech death metal. For years I used the metalzone, somewhat disatisfied with the tone, but I couldn't find anything better. For awhile I even ran a boss acoustic simulator behind it for an insane buzzsaw effect (way too much, just try it for fun). Then I got an ESP F-50 (cheap-ass metal guitar), and a Crate XT120R amp (cheap-ass metal amp). After that I stopped using any distortion pedal because the 'solo' channel on the crate sounded better than any pedal I'd ever heard, and still does. Then my brother bought me a Digitech Death Metal for a birthday, it didn't even sound as good as my discarded boss metalzone. But years later I started recording my music on a Zoom multitrack I purchased. And when I put a mic to my wonderful amp to record it just sounded wimpy. I needed a direct plug-in from my guitar to the recorder. The answer came when I was drunk one night and pulled out the 'death metal' my brother got me. It has two different outputs, one for your amp, a different one for your mixer/recorder, I unintentionally plugged in out of the 'amp' output...and it was the most clean/hard/distortion sound I had ever heard. Now when I record I only use digitech death metal. People forget that you need different equipment for shows than for recording a song or album. If I'm playing just to play, my cheap-ass guitar and amp combo sounds better than any distortion pedal, but when it's time to record...the digitech 'death metal' rocks me. I hope this helps somebody.
    pigeonmafia
    As a few people have said, the pedal to get is different depending on your needs. I play bullet for my valentine, children of bodom, killswitch engage and slipknot etc and the ml-2 sounded better for that kinda thing than anything else i tried. However, it's about as versatile as a kettle, so is rubbish for anything else. Don't make your mind up from reviews and comments on here: go out and try it somewhere! It's the only way to know what suits you. And as shaymack37 said: recording's sound different, and the pedal's will sound different with different amps and guitars. You really have to try the pedals before you choose!
    element1385
    i want a sound like protest the hero or even inflames would you reccomend this pedal?
    minchew
    pigeonmafia : As a few people have said, the pedal to get is different depending on your needs. I play bullet for my valentine, children of bodom, killswitch engage and slipknot etc and the ml-2 sounded better for that kinda thing than anything else i tried. However, it's about as versatile as a kettle, so is rubbish for anything else. Don't make your mind up from reviews and comments on here: go out and try it somewhere! It's the only way to know what suits you. thanks. my band plays a lot of stuff like that. I might look into this pedal ( my MT-2 crapped out on me after about a year.)
    CleanCanvas
    i duno about u guys but its a tad fuzzy and noisy for me but i tried it on my friends valve orange amp wow.. crap on my amp but not noisy at all on my friends orange valve was totally insane
    von gelb
    This pedal works best through an already overdriven tube amp. I've bought it yesterday, and tried it on a few solid states (everything sounds the same and a bit thin). Then I plugged it into a tube amp (dirty/high gain channel) and this baby really starts to scream and punch. It's not a versatile pedal, but if you want a real modern metal sound it will get you exactly that. Just don't set the distortion level too high (just over 12 o'clock) or it will you give more of a fuzz like tone.