ML-2 Metal Core review by Boss

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Boss: ML-2 Metal Core

Purchased from: guitar center

At the time I played this my main guitar was a Dean vendetta (the 100 dollar one, you know the really light one) and I already mentioned my amp setup. Since I bought it I have also set it in front of a Crate excalibur and a Fender bassman as well as a Marshall vs100, and my guitars have gone through an sg special to an ec400 to a hss mexi strat back to the ec. The whole time I used it I got the same sound on every amp, every channel, just with more or less distortion. Pretty much you keep everything in the middle position and you have what is the perfect go to metalcore tone. No death metal, no hard rock, not even a deathcore (bleh) tone. Just metalcore. Boss meant the name apparently. But anyways if you push the distortion knob past 30% it gets noisy, and the noise increases in a hurry. Either have amazingly quick hands to kill the guitars volume or buy a noise supressor.

I play brutal/tech death metal, with an occasional reference to thrash, so in other words really heavy fast music that requires a buncha disto. At the time I bought this, I was way into metalcore. Trivium, killswitch, as I lay dying, that stuff. It was good for then, but this thing isnt tweakable enough or diverse enough for much else. I have been playing 6 or 7 years, I actually can't remember now, and I have so much gear that it'd be ridiculous to try to sum it up here. I really wish I had thought to myself about that I might not always love metalcore before I bought this, because now it just sits around mostly. If it were stolen, I would try to get it back, but I wouldn't buy another one unless metalcore became my passion again. I love its punchy chug, but I don't like its boring cliche of a sound. I compared this to a metalzone, and couldnt stand the metalzone so I got this. I wish it had more adjustable eq, then maybe you could do something that doesnt't involve delay and breakdowns with it.

One thing is for sure, this thing will not break. Drop it off a cliff, run it over with a steam roller, toss a hand grenade on it. Dust it off and you're good. I would and have used it at a gig without a backup. This thing is tough, I have thrown it at a brick wall and it took a chunk out of the brick. No matter what you do to this thing, you will be able to plug it in and keep playing. I think I have made my point.

Boss makes OK pedals. Nothing fantastic, but hey, it gets the job done. Sometimes anyway. I bought this when all I had at the time was an old Traynor mixer and some pa speakers that my grandpa bought in the mid 80s. I bought it expecting to get a diverse range of modern metal sounds that I could manipulate to my liking... I was wrong, however. I got two tones, which were: treble heavy killswitch engage tone, and bass heavy killswitch engage tone. Now, while I was expecting most sounds to be metalcore, {hence the name} I kinda hoped I'd have access to a few different metalcore tones, but it was pretty much the most generic metalcore tone you can get. It sounded good, but still, I wanted a little more, well, more. Oh, and it has level treble bass and distortion knobs.

jonny slickhead
    i hate all these big word alot of people spend too much time learning guitar words instead of playin the dam thing i have a pedal like this and i runn it through a nosie suppressor and a old solid state peavy and i get a awesome tone and alot of people i know say its a awesome tone too so im satisfied i had a boss gt 10 and it got on my nervs and so i sold it and made 50 bucks on more then what i bought it for so it was a good investment but the boss gt 10 has sucky distiortion and its too hard too use just get the metalcore pedal and theres a orange one called a boss md 2 i like that one too all the pedals are good its just what your runnin it through and what you want to use it for but i like the metalcore for lead and the md 2 for rythm but you get a similar tone but any one you get it wont sound right if you dont use a sound suppressor thats my opinion but i aint famous or talented so i dont know nothin and this is just a thought not a sermon
    timmi258
    what does this pedal sound like in comparison with the 'metal' setting on the Boss OD-20?
    Plan009
    RGT220H
    Jard_weirdo wrote: is this better than my boss mt2 metal zone???
    I have both, I find the ml-2 to bit a tad less harsh in the high-end. if you like pantera solid-state edge, stick with the MT-2, if you want a rounder-deeper sound, go ml-2
    deathhead1994
    @plan009 thank you for responding , but i have a bc rich warlock metalmaster ,its pickups are not the best , am looking for the more brutal sounding pedal , heavier , something that when i hit the strings i can hear a good roar , you know i play mostly death metal , but i also play alot of trash and megadeth , i want the pedal that is heavier :S
    deathhead1994
    Plan009 wrote: deathhead1994 wrote: I play mostly children of bodom , Death , opeth ... death metal , can someone plz suggest to me what to buy , the metalcore or the metalzone ??? The ML-2 is much better for leads and soloing. The rhythm is good, but not the heaviest of the pedals. If your amp handles distortion well and your pick-ups give it a good kick, then this would be fine, but if you need an extra hi gain boost, I would suggest the MT-2. I got this pedal and play a ton of Atreyu with it. I get the exact tone for Lipgloss and Black by pushing it to maybe 60% of the pedal's potential.