ML-2 Metal Core review by Boss

Boss: ML-2 Metal Core

Purchased from: Amazon

The sound for this pedal is PERFECT. I never use perfect, but this time, I have no second thoughts. This pedal, through even the smallest and weakwest amp, will provide a booming, powerful wave of distortion. The High and Low dials are nice because I can get any metal tone I can out of this. I have nothing bad to say about the pedal's sound. It does exactly what it's designed to do.

I use a Line 6 Spider IV, and a Crush 50W Orange bass amp (say what you will, I get some of my favorite tones from a bass amp). I've tested this pedal through both amps' clean channels and I loved the tone through both of them. In fact, I have a SMALL Orange portable practice amp that runs on a 9-volt. Again, great performance (minus the lack of bass and some mids, but that's the amp's fault, not the pedal's). No matter the setup, this pedal delivers. I play pretty much everything, and this pedal is well... it's a metal, heavy rock, (that kind of thing) pedal. I can't do much else with it. And I got mine for MUCH cheaper thant the listed price at the store was. If you're going to play metal-esque and that's it, then I say this is your best bet. This pedal does everything it was designed to do, and these days, that's good enough for me. I would buy one again in a heartbeat if mine were to disappear.. However, If you plan to play all kinds of music, this isn't your thing. Go for a more versatile pedal.. DeltaLab makes a good rock Distortion pedal good for most all genres. But for metal, this pedal is definitely the way to go!

I depend on this pedal completely, but I have to make sure it's placed properly on the pedalboard. The pedal is smaller than, say, a hardwire pedal. I have rather large feet and have an issue pressing multiple pedals at once if I plan out my pedal locations poorly. However, that's all I'll say bad about it. the battery lasts MUCH longer than a Hardwire, let alone any other pedal I've ever had. Maybe that's just a Boss Effect Pedal feature but I like it. As long as there's a replacement battery every month or so, I wouldn't hesitate to gig without a backup.

This pedal is a one-trick pony, but then again, that's the intention of this pedal. METAL, METAL, and MOOOAAARRR METAL! Although, if you crank the gain all the way down, you can get some higher Overdrive sounds. There is one input and one output jack, and the hatch is relatively simple to open to switch out the battery. The level dial is flexible and there aren't any sudden jumps from 0-11 in volume, which is VERY nice. The High and Low dials are easy to use as well. Overall, I can't see an issue with the pedal in terms of usability.