ML-2 Metal Core review by Boss

Boss: ML-2 Metal Core

Purchased from: Bonners Music

At the minuite I'm using the pedal with a Washburn MG-200, that guitar is far from a metal guitar but with this pedal is sure as hell sounds like it, I've recently ordered a Jackson KVX-10 so it should make it sound a bit better as well. As the name may have already gave away, it is made purely for metal, if your interested in using the pedal or anything other that Metal that this is not the pedal for you, that said, with the distortion turned down to its lowest it gets a decent 70's rock sounds, although you can tell it's not really made for it. The distortion tured up fully is literally crazy, 60-70% distortion will produce a crushin tone. As far as Metal goes I can get all my favourite band's tone nicely with this pedal, from Pantera's crushing sounds to Megadeth's shredding sound or anything inbetween. This is THE pedal for a metal sound, even with a relativly budget amp I was amazed at how close I could get to sounds I though I'd need a pro set up for. This pedal will get any metal tone you desire but if it's not metal look else where.

I use this pedal solely for metal for my Metal. As I said it can be used for bands like Rush and Queen but you will not get a particulary close sounds. However I get can excellent matching sounds for the metal I play. I play a lot 80's thrash but some more modern stuff. The mains bands I use it for would be. Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Children of Bodom, Avenged Sevenfold, Slayer etc. Every since I opened it up and started play Walk I have been amazing at how agressive this pedal sounds. Hell, I'm using it with a guitar suited best for Jazz and the pedal has ripped it's jazz spirt apart. I can't wait for my Jackson to arrive as well, should be great. When I use it with a Dunlop Crybaby I really feel like Kirk Hammet playing his shitty Death Magnetic solos. The distortion and Wah are together are so powerful they can obscure and ruin and song is you want. But when used properly shredding is just such a joy with this pedal. If it were stolen I would most certainly buy another, why wouldn't I, it is just perfect for metal. Only thing I wish this pedal had was a better battery life which I have to admit is a little dissapointing.

This peal is made of solid metal, it's very neat and compact and while I haven't tried it I reckon I could knock someone out with it, throw it at a wall and it would still rock the walls down. I would use this pedal without a backup but I certainly wouldn't use it without a bag full of battery's. Seriously, I don't know if it's just my pedal but I've used it around 6-7 hours and it's already sucked 2 batteries dry so I've ordered the adaptor, the pedal it's self isn't a problem but I wouldn't reccomend running it on batteries as a day's practise will run one right down. It's not the batteries I use because my Wah pedal lasts a lot longer although I can't be certain as I don't play entires songs witht he Wah pedal always turned on. But a big tip on battery saving is plug the lead out when your not using it as it will continue to run the battery down.

This being my first ever Boss pedal I was extemely happy at easy it was to use. Straight out of the box it already had a fantastic metal sound and can very quickly set it up for any kind of Metal tone. It has 4 knobs. Level, Low, High and Distortion, very self explanitory really. The thing I like about the easy of use is the level knob. On a lot of other pedals or amps the level is very jittery. You turn it very slowely and suddenly the volume seems to double at one point which can be very annoying when your practising in a bedroom and you want a decent amount of noise and you can only get a quite sound with no power or a blasting tone that will soon bring the neighbours to your door step, not any more with the Boss ML2. The level controls the noise perfecting and can get you the perfect volume your looking for, and it should also be noted that using combining your amp with the level turned up high you can get your amp to blast like never before.

Vampire_Prince
    im getting one of these this Thursday, i tried a mt-2 a metal muff and this... the other two didn't have enough dist for the crushing riffs i need, although i will say that the muff is a million times better than the zone any day, but yeah, i couldn't care less about the name on the pedal... i would buy a 'crabcore' pedal if it sounded good!