ML-2 Metal Core review by Boss

Boss: ML-2 Metal Core

Purchased from: PMT Music Stores

I run this pedal through an Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom with EMG 81/60 pickups through a Kustom Quad 65DFX amplifier, which is going into a Yamaha PA speaker. It sounds Amazing for metal but I don't think you'll get much else out of this pedal. That said I doubt many blues or jazz guys will be buying this bad boy! I haven't had any feedback as of yet, apart from when I crank it to stupidly high volume levels but that's to be expected. Other than that, a slight hiss but it's too quiet to notice on stage or at rehearsals. As I stated earlier, in my opinion the effects always sound pretty good to my ears. I play a lot of August Burns Red, Children Of Bodom and I'm also in a pretty heavy band so it sounds good to me. As I also stated earlier, this pedal isn't very good for anything but metal. Which for me, isn't a problem but I can see it being a problem for others.

I play metal, just Metal alone so this pedal is ideal for me, especially since my amps distortion is a pile of steaming cow s**t. I've been playing for about 6 years now, this is the first distortion pedal I've ever owned and I think I'll stick with it for a very long time. If it was stolen or lost I'd hunt down the guy who stole it and bludgeon him to death with it. Actually no. Bad idea. I'd buy another one in an instant. I love how heavy it sounds, its what I've heard in my head for years. The fact there's no feedback is also a blessing. I compared this to the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone in store, and whilst that had more EQ and tonal range, this pedal blew it out of the water sound wise. The only thing I wish it had was More EQ settings, then this pedal would be perfect for almost any metalhead. Worth every penny.

This thing is built to last. Its solid, doesn't feel like its going to fall apart and made of metal. Not much else to say, I'd use this without a backup but I'd always bring a spare battery or power supply.

Straight out of the box this pedal is so simple to use. 4 Knobs, Level, Low, High And Distortion. This pedal is really easy to get a good sound out of, everything you try sounds pretty good for metal. I'm going to give this a 10, purely because anyone who can't set this pedal up must be braindead.

S7A1ND
    winniethepunk wrote: Guyz, I need some ideas for how to make a good pedal setup for nu-metal sound to play live.. what pedals do u think should be the musts of the setup, what are optional?! Boss ML-2, Digitech DF 7 seems to be the good options for distortion.. a Noise Supressor pedal would be cool probably.. Do I really need Delay, Chorus and all other modulations or any acoustic pedal.. How about an equalizer?! I'm not a a pro, so help me with your knowledge please, thank you..
    I realize that this post is old, but I thought I would open my big mouth anyways ... An equalizer is a definate plus-not necessary, but a plus, nonetheless. As for delay: it is amazing how much better a tone can be with a *tiny* amount of delay that is not overly present. Distortion is completely preference. Personally, I like the ML-2 Metalcore, but I can see where other people would like the MT-2 Metalzone. I also own the EHX Metal Muff and sometimes it has the perfect sound I'm looking for, but for some songs its just too harsh-I can't quite get the right sort of "thickness" to my distortion. Good Luck to you!
    S7A1ND
    shinedown98 wrote: yea i just picked it up earlier today, and though ive only been able to play it at minimal level this evenign due to neighbors, it def sounds better then my MT2, the distortion is much darker and heavier, a dist i couldnt get with my mt-2... i got it runnin through a boss dig delay and noise suppressor too, not sure if the suppressor makes much diff, pedal is super quiet for a high gain pedal...from an esp ltd ec500s into a peavey vk100....sounds pretty nice..
    Exactly! I'm sure the MT-2 has a sound that is perfect for some situations, but the ML-2 seems more saturated and darker. It's all preference, really. I would definately choos ML-2 Metalcore.
    S7A1ND
    the distortion pedal. and yes, pedal is spelt with a d.
    Normally I would never correct spelling, but given the circumstance, I couldn't help my self. "Spelled" is spelled with a d, not a t...