MT-2 Metal Zone review by Boss

Boss: MT-2 Metal Zone

Purchased from: Daddie's Junky Music

I use 3 guitars currently, including an early 80's Ibanez Saber, Gibson SG, and a Ibanez GAX70. I also have 2 acoustics, but I obviously don't use the MT-2 with them. The pickups in my Saber are extremely hot, and the sound I get from my MT-2 with it is beyond amazing, considering the sound I have is so cheap (around $489.99). My style is like a combination of Rush, Phish, Dream Theater, and Lamb Of God. Weird combo eh? I also use a Marshall AVT100 Combo and I mainly use it for effects like flange and chorus (it has built in effects) For pedals I have a Bad Horsie Wah, DigiTech Whammy, Ibanez DE7 (I think) Delay, Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor, and a Dan Electro Daddy O Overdrive (for boost). Combined with the Dan Electro and NS-2 I get a crushing tone for rhythms, and a clean fluidlike sound with leads (gobs of sustain). I'd recommend pairing it with an eq pedal for even more tonal options, and a noise suppressor of some kind.

I play mainly metal, and this pedal is perfect for it. I've been playing for 4 years, and it hasn't failed me yet. I love the way I can shape my own sound. It can't be compared. The only thing I wish it had was a built in noise suppressor.

I've owned one since '01 and hasn't failed me yet. I don't have a backup because if it ever broke I can easily replace it with my amp distortion.

For a few years now I've been playing guitar, and every recording I've made since I started playing had my trusty Metal Zone in there, and you could really tell how much my sound changed over the years just by shaping my sound with the EQ on the Metal Zone. If you listened to me with my settings, then listened to someone else with their settings, I'd have a unique and personal sound, and so would the other player. It's so versitile, I've used it to play metal, fusion, rock and roll, modern rock, and even for a slight jazz Overdrive. However, you can't buy the pedal and expect to get you're sound right off the bat. It took me years. All it takes to get a good sound is patience and a good ear. And a really good amplifier to make a killer live sound. I've even plugged direct into a recording device, and made some of the heaviest sounds I've ever heard. I have a decent Marshall amplifier, and I prefer my MT-2 over my Marshall distortion. I never looked at the manual, I just followed my ear. This pedal is amazing and can produce any distortion sound imaginable. Except when scooped.