MT-2 Metal Zone review by Boss

Boss: MT-2 Metal Zone

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

I expected a lot more from this pedal, but distortion is distortion and the Metal Zone is something that delivers an extreme tone. I can't say that I got the most out of the Boss MT-2 only because after playing around with it for a while, I didn't find the right sound for some of the bands I like. Although, I can't say that any setting I got vaguely resembled a sound. If I got a setting, it was very similar to what I wanted, in fact it was different/better at some times. I got the sound of some heavy things like Children Of Bodom, Metallica, Pantera and Soundgarden. Each kind of distortion you can get with this little (but loud and insane) pedal is unique. Many people have told me that it resembles the normal distortion I get with my Roland Cube 15 (Metal Stack option) with my standard strat, and I agree, which is why I can't give this pedal a perfect. I'd give this pedal a 4.5/5 because it's slightly resemblant to the distortion that my amp does and because I didn't get the perfect sound of each band. But it's all good enough, it sounds decent. A small pedal that can be up in your face making your guitar scream. The crunch on this pedal is what amazed me most.

I play mostly (heavy) metal like Slayer, Metallica, Pantera, classic rock like Van Halen and Black Sabbath, and a lot of Grunge like Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. With My Cube 15, my Mexican Sunburst Strat, my trusty MT-2 Metal Zone pedal and of course my Seymour Duncan Hot Rails pickup on the bridge, I can achieve such an awesome sound. With the money I payed for it I could have gotten a Digi Tech RP80 which I wanted to, but I knew it wasn't reliable and that it was just a toy. I wish I had tried it out before I went to buy it though. I wouldn't have overestimated it then. My favourite setting is the Mid Freq, it gives you such an amazing sound. If it were stolen/lost I'd have to hunt down the guy who did it, take it back and bash him/her as hard as I can on their head cause I know that the thing won't break.

I'd depend on it no matter what happens to it. Since I don't bash it around, I doubt anything will ever happen to this pedal. I know it'll serve me well no doubt about it. I'd definetly use it at a gig without a backup, there's nothing to worry about.

As soon as I got the MT-2, I played around with the settings on my strat, and I got a different sound from each turn of the knob. Althought it was used and didn't come with a manual, I really didn't see the point of one. You don't need instructions, just turn a knob and see how it sounds. This Boss pedal is extremely easy to use, it just takes some time to get the right sound, but once you've got the hang of it it'll be a really handy pedal.