MT-2 Metal Zone review by Boss

Boss: MT-2 Metal Zone

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music

I'm currently using an Ibanez RG450LTD and it sounds great with the MT-2, especially if I make a high harmonic with the distortion on, and spaz out with the Whammy bar, mainly because my guitar literally screams when that happens, due to the right amount of distortion I get from my trusty MT-2. Unfortunately, if you don't have humbucker pickups, you'll definately get a really loud 'hum' feedback sound if you don't do anything with your guitar with the distortion turned on to the max, but lucky enough, my RG450 has 2 humbucker pickups which will eliminate any unwanted sound, putting my ears and nerves at ease. Another good point is that, the sound will always stay as heavy as it should be, even if the battery's running well low, which is absolutely great because I find replacing batteries on this bad boy is a pain in the neck, but they're sure to last long enough to keep you from throwing a tantrum. I can definately get the sound of my favourite artists ranging from a very thrashy metallica to a mildly distorted offspring tone which is great, because often the distotion even 'tops out' some of the distortion I hear in the actual songs I listen to which earns this buddy a big 5.

I play mostly heavy, death, thrash metal and this pedals tops it all. Again, it can create a more distorted tone than today's modern heavy metal bands such as avenged sevenfold, atreyu, evanescence and many more. Lastly, for ya'll lucky metal zone owners out there, I'd like to recommend my tone to you all because this is the exact tone I had to fiddle around with to finally get it, so here goes - level=12 o'clock, high=3 o'clock, low=3 o'clock, middle=5 o'clock (max), mid freq=5 o'clock (max), dist=max. So there you have it. My ultimate tone I can get from my MT-2 Metal Zone. By the way if anyone else can recommend me a much tastier tone.

This pedal was built to last and I am living proof. Even though I've dropped this pedal several times (by accident obviously), and this pedal has sustained only minor scratches and dents but it does not effect the tone at all because all the harm was done on the outside, and not in the inside. On the other hand, I would depend on this pedal without a backup because the only backups I probably need are batteries to keep my friend running.

When I first got this pedal, I was ecstatic because I've always wanted to get a really heavy distorted tone but my amp simply couldn't do the right job. But as it turns out, I had to screw around with the pedal until I finally found the manual which had some MT-2 presets such as fuzz, heavy metal, blues, Overdrive, but since my amp was a crappy 15 watt Behringer GM-108 amp, the heaviest tone possible that I would find, would sound somewhat like deep purple, which in my opinion isn't distored enough, as I was looking for a Metallica or Children Of Bodom tone, but I think the main problem has to be my amp, because within the first week of having my MT-2, my amp would vibrantly shake if I were to play something with the MT-2 hooked up, so I'm assuming that the amp's speaker is probably f--ked up, because when I tried the effect pedal on another much more expensive amplifier in the music shop, the sound was at least 1000x better. But I'm rather satisfied with the tone because I managed to find the most heavy and distorted tone possible on the MT-2 one random night when I was fiddling with the controls, but as it turns out, the tone I found can mimic any Lamb Of God, Arch Enemy, Children Of Bodom, even nu-metal bands such as Linkin Park and Papa Roach. So maybe in the end, the pedal does need some experimenting if you want to get your most preferred tone.