MT-2 Metal Zone review by Boss

Boss: MT-2 Metal Zone

Purchased from: GuitarGuitar, Glasgow

I play a Fender Strat, a Crate 10w, Behringer X V-AMP and a MT-2 Metal Zone (plus a coupla other discount pedal bought to experiment with). It's not noisy on the whole. Unless I have my volume cranked all the way up, it doesn't give me any unwanted noise. The distortion I supose does what it says; giving off a metal sounding distortion. However I personally feel it doesn't sound very good at all. I thought it sounded good until I have my amp up past 5, from there the quality of the tone reduces greatly. Also, something that I haven't read in a review before, that needs to be said, this thing sucks for lead guitar. It should be used for power chords only. The only way I have managed to get a decent lead sound is with the treble(high) almost right down, some mid, a lot of bass and the mid freq about between 10 and 11 oclock. And even at that you can hardly hear it because the bass over-powers everything else. So, the point in that paragraph is basically do not solo with this pedal.

I play various types of music, however I only use this pedal for some styles. To be honest the distortion on My X V-AMP slaps the metal zone with a wet fish, But I s'pose this distortion pedal almost meets the sounds of Children Of Bodom, Judas Priest, Metallica/Megadeth around the sort've And Justice For All/Master Of Puppets and Peace Sells But Who's Buying?/Rust In Peace albums. But I would say you can get most heavy metal bands sounds out this amp. Personally I've managed to get roughly everything from Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Ozzy and Black Label Society to Mudvayne, Children Of Bodom, Slayer and Cradle Of Filth out of this pedal. And on my last note, two more points. With this pedal, buy a Boss GE-7 EQ pedal, and two Boss 9v adapters for them. The EQ pedal boosts the metal zones sound so much, the pedals almost laughable playing without it after you've played with the EQ. And the adapter speaks for itself. Just do not try use batteries with this pedal, You'll be changing them more than you play it lol. And if you do unplug the leads from the pedal when not in use.

Simple answer; yes. It's a Boss. However, I'm not sure if I would gig with this, as it sound shit turned up. Now I haven't tried it with a big amp, but I'd imagine it'd have much the same effect.

Well, as there's a built in EQ its slightly more difficult to get your desired tone, so I'm going to blame this fact as to why I can't get a good tone out of it. But over-all I'd say it is pretty easy to use. The manual is useful and explains the EQ and gives you some standard settings for the pedal, heavy metal, hard rock, overdrive, etc.