MT-2 Metal Zone review by Boss

Boss: MT-2 Metal Zone

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

The sound is actually the best I've heard from any Boss Stompbox. It's a very diverse pedal and you can use it for everything from light amounts of distortion too full in your face metal amounts. The pedal was used on the following amps - Marshall MG50DFX, Roland Cube 60, Vox AD50VT, Peavey Bandit, Peavey Transtube 112, Fender Frontman 212r, and a Fender tube amp (unknown model) - it sounded fine out of all the amps. Guitars used - Ibanez RGs (various), MIA/MIM Fender Stratocasters, Gibson Les Pauls, SGs, Vs, Xplorers, and many Jackson RR guitars - tone came out fine with all passive pickups (no actives used). It's a bit noisy but a noisy gate or noise suppressor deals with that - and it isn't too noisy so it's not a necessity to have a NG/NS. The distortion is never weak sounding to myself, I'm not trying to mimic my favourite artists. It's got a nice sound, but may not be everyone's cup of tea.

I play Metal (Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Dragonforce, Children Of Bodom, Dream Theater, Opeth), Rythm and Blues, Jazz, Blues, Hard Rock, Classic Rock - no punk or anything along those lines. I've been playing for two and a half years now - I own a MIM Fender Stratocaster, a MIJ Ibanez RG, a Marshall MG50DFX, a Peavey 05 212 combo, and a Vox X847 wah pedal. I wish I'd spent more time sampling more pedals (I'd used all Boss distortion, and all DigiTech) - just wish I'd checked more brands out. If it were lost or stolen I'd probably buy a new one - doesn't hurt to own it - but my Peavey 05 212 is a gain Machine and doesn't need a pedal. I'd suggest it over the Boss DS-1, any DigiTech pedal, and the Boss DS-2 - it as a more solid tone to my ears. I wish it had a built in noise gate (but everything should really). I love the equalizer on it (Level [volume], high [treble] low [bass] middle, and middle frequency) - I don't have any dislikes about the actual pedal. Overall it's a good all around pedal that couldn't hurt anyone's rig. Make sure you do test before you buy with the exact amp you use - the tone will vary between amps.

The MT-2 is built like a tank, I've gigged it without a backup (just have extra batteries or an adapter). It's reliable, has a good battery life.

The Boss MT-2 Metal Zone distortion pedal is fairly easy to use once the owner figures out how to properly use the equalization. Too get a good sound you can follow the suggested settings in the manual (which I'll get into later) and play with them, or just do your own thing to get your tone. The manual provided is detailed in the equalization, comes with how to replace battery information, warranty information, the Boss website and suggested settings. It is a fairly good manual and it is advisable to read it.