MT-2 Metal Zone review by Boss

• Reviewer's score: 4.5 Poor
Boss: MT-2 Metal Zone

Like I said before, I have a 70-something Fender Twin Reverb (tube, for those who aren't familiar) and I play a Fender Jag-Stang. Now, the Jag-Stang is by no means a "heavy metal" pedal, which is why I was looking for a good distortion pedal with an equalizer and such to boost the lower tones that my guitar lacks. Upon hooking up the MT-2, there was immediate feedback and I was standing 8 feet away from my amp! Even after playing with the many knobs (which was one of the selling points for me) I still could not get the crunched-fuzz I wanted. I even tried the presets suggested in the manual, but nothing sounded as it should have). I know it was not my amp, because when I tried the Line 6 Uber Metal (albeit it has a built-in noise suppressor) it worked beautifully (even with the feedback gate turned off). It does, however, sound decent with a solid state amp.

I play a lot of metal/screamo music, as well as some classic rock (Zeppelin, Sabbath) and this pedal just didn't cut it for me. Like I said, I compared it to a Line 6 Uber Metal, which kills the MT-2! If it had a built in noise suppressor then maybe it would have worked out better. Since I never bought it, I would not replace it. But it's all personal preference. To each, his own.

I never trust batteries, so I definitely would have bought an adaptor, had I purchased this pedal. I know someone who owns this pedal, and they have had it about 6 months or so and have only had to replace the battery once so far. He has never had a problem with it cutting out or the knobs breaking off, and it's in mint shape (I know this because I have seen it and heard him play it). He's used it for many gigs, and it has worked extremely well for him. The design was sturdy, as I had dropped in a couple times and nothing happened to it cosmetically or functionally. Definitely a bonus for those who gig. Very durable!

All I've heard about this pedal were good reviews, so you can imagine how disappointed I was once I hooked it up. I was searching for the perfect distortion pedal, mainly for metal, but capable of other diverse distortions. Well, this one didn't fare so well with my 70-something Fender Twin Reverb. It was impossible to get a decent sound out of it, not to mention the amount of feedback it produced. However, it worked decently on my 10" Crate SS amp.

footychimp
    @ darkness, hey thanks for the reply, ive added the md-2 mega distortion to the list as i found out about it, heard its for nu-metal and punk rock etc... You think it would suit thrash and metal? If so, which one mt-2 or md-2