MT-2 Metal Zone review by Boss

Boss: MT-2 Metal Zone

Purchased from: Ebay

I am currently using this pedal with my Ibanez RG2550E, and Roland Cube 60 amp. I also have a Schecter Damien 6 that I like to use with this pedal as well. I have not found the pedal to be amazingly noisy, though turning the distortion all the way and not using humbuckers you would probably find it to be quite irritating. I have found that you can get a good strong sound out of it but there is a lot of tweaking to be done to make this, otherwise the sounds can be somewhat tinny. My favourite artists include Dark Tranquillity, Behemoth and The Retrosic, and I have been able to get decent replications of the sound apart from The Retrosic, and that is only because they are an Industrial/IDM band.

Overall I have found this pedal to be great for my playing style (heavy metal, hard rock) and it would make a great pedal for anyone starting out or wanting to play some of their favorite bands in the harder spectrum of music. I have been playing for 4 years now and I own a Roland Cube 60, Ibanez RG2550E, Schecter Damien 6 and a unknown brand acoustic. I wish I had asked if it came with a battery before I bought it, so I didn't have to race down to the store and grab one to start playing. If it were stolen I would probably look at upgrading to a multi-effects processor, only so that I can have everything when I need it. When I was purchasing it, I looked for opinions here on Ultimate-Guitar, and the general response was to buy this pedal for my needs.

I can definitely depend on this tank without it breaking, and would definitely use it at a gig without a backup. It has an extremely tough outer shell made of metal, and the design is incredibly sturdy. I read in a magazine some of the tests that they have done to test the durability of some pedals, and this pedal won the competition, as it could withstand being dropped from a 3 story building, being driven over, being set alight and having beer poured all over it, so this pedal can take whatever you give it and still keep coming back for more. The only thing that I would take as backup would be spare batteries, only because I'm lazy and only change them when they really are dead, but the unit is fairly good with batteries, as long as you remember to unplug it after playing.

This pedal made by Boss is a great sounding pedal that I have found very easy to use and to make some great sounds. The pedal has a 3 band EQ, with two dials available for adjusting the mids (one for boosting/cutting the frequency you set using the other knob, which is to set the frequency of the the middle range). There is also level and distortion dials. The knobs for the High and Low frequencies have a variable range from -15dB to +15dB, and the Middle frequency has a range of 200Hz to 5Khz. The manual for the MT-2 is fairly comprehensive, covering all the technical specifications and then providing easy diagrams on how to set it up and also has some great sample settings to get you going fast. One of the only downfalls is that the unit does not come with a battery and the power supply is optional, and needs to be purchased separateley.