MT-2 Metal Zone review by Boss

Boss: MT-2 Metal Zone

Purchased from: eBay

I'm using the pedal between a practice amp, my Fender 25R frontman, a Dunlop crybaby wah, and my mid-90s mexican strat. The best sound comes when you have modulation effects, like wah, closer in series to the guitar than the distortion pedal. The presence of a 3-band EQ allows for a myriad variation of sounds, and if you play with it long enough, you'll discover that the adjustable midrange band is an invaluable Tool in tuning the "mood: of the distortion. At zero gain, the pedal produces a smooth blues tone. At middle gain, it'll give you a crunchy 80s-metal type of distortion. At the 3/4 to full gain mark, it producs an overwhelming lead distortion that'll melt faces during a solo. If you play with the settings long enough, I guarantee that you'll find a tone that works for you. This is the most versatile distortion pedal I've ever used.

I mainly play blues, jazz, and metal. I started playing about 6 years ago, and I picked this product when I felt that I'd outgrown the Boss DS-1 a couple of years ago. It replaced the bland distortion on my Line6 Spider, and I've never looked back. If you try this pedal in the store and don't understand why you would possibly need an EQ on a disortion pedal, go for a simpler pedal. The Metal Zone is a highly versatile pedal, but you have to understand how it works. I would replace the MT-2 if stolen because it does everything I could ever ask of a distortion pedal. I love the fact that I no longer need multiple distortion effects to play different genres of music, and that it produces a full band of sound without clipping the midrange like many distortion pedals do. I only wish that there were a way to lock the dials in place so that they couldn't get turned while the pedal is being transported in a case or inside of an amp. Otherwise, this is the simplest way to accomplish a difficult task: providing the most possible distortion tones, in the best possible quality of each of those tones, with the most useability onstage possible.

Like all Boss pedals, it's built like a rock. I think if I droppedit off a 10-foot ledge and plugged it back in, it wouldn't even scratch. The only thing that could use some improvement is the battery life. At 1/4-to-half gain level and 1/4 volume, the pedal will give me playtime for about 50 hours. That's a decent number, but the problem is that the red indicator light doesn't begin to dim (alerting you to replace the battery soon) until you're in that 50th hour of playing. The sound quality doesn't diminish significantly until the pedal is 99.99% ready to run out of power.

I am the second owner of my MT-2 Metal Zone, and the first owner did not pass along the manual to me with the pedal itself. There are 6 knobs total on the face of the pedal, which seems intimidating at first. In order to get the most out of the pedal, you have to have a good grasp of how equalizers can affect your sound, and how to set up equalizers in other parts of your rig as well. That being said, the pedal is very flexible, but it has a steep learning curve. You'll Pick up on a few settings that you really like, and stick with those, and probably not move the dials around after that.

DOMR28
    for all you who said that this pedal lacks balls, you're not setting it right. This pedal is not the best for beginners, if it is your first and you set it right away then your just lucky is all. I find that running it through chorus and 7 band EQ makes it even more badass, though the raw sound is nothing to scoff at either. Just caused I'm pissed at Line 6, tonecore pedals sound great but are unreliable pieces of shit.
    DOMR28
    squierkid71 wrote: @ run.to.the.hill thanx for the advice what amp do u recommend if i wanted to buy a 30-watt solid state? (i'm kind of on a budget) and would it be worth it to buy a small tube amp i.e a crate palomino v8/v16? PS. I play mostly metal like metallica and pantera. thought i'd just let u know.
    In 13 yrs I have not found a single Crate that does this job efficiently by itself. If your intent on buying a crate, you'd better have a good effects processor or pedal setup. I seem to remember that Marshall had a pretty good sound when I was searching the small amp arena.
    guitarfreak222
    This pedal is awesome!!!!! but theres an even heavvier pedal with is the metal core but i stick with dis pedal becoz the metal core is a bit too heavy 4 me
    holierthanthou1
    the_addict
    holierthanthou1 wrote: Kyle_Daoust wrote: can anyone get me a setting for ...and justice for all by metallica? Turn down the mid and turn up the highs and lows and then just play with it from there. It's an awesome pedal. I play it through and ESP ex-260 and it sounds just like Metallica at their best. Ive just recently started having problems where my guitar sounds perfect for a few riffs but then the sound quickly dies away and turns into an ugly indescribable crunch. Pretty sure its the pedal cause the guitar's new and the amp is way to expensive to do that. I'm definately going to replace this pedal with the same one.
    you could have the electronics replaced in your current metal zone with american pots and stuff. I've heard that it sounds alot better when you do that. I own one of these and the pedal is awesome!