MT-2 Metal Zone review by Boss

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Boss: MT-2 Metal Zone

Price paid: A$ 90

Purchased from: ebay

I used to use a beringher GM108 15w amp with this and my LTD with EMG 81/85 pickups. the reason I got it was to compensate for the shitty tone (I used to think) from the amp. Back then, all I wanted was a big thick crunch, and for that reason and in my youth I thought the pedal was amazing. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a good sound, but nothing compared to my Laney VH100R... sorry folks! It can be quite noisy, but then again I haven't used one in awhile and I have much better equipment (leads n that) at my arsenal now. Getting a nice thrashy scooped sound (which I wanted) was easily achieved and sounded quite brutal if the EQ was right (with your amp settings as well) For a good ld school slayer/metallica sound this pedal was a cheaper option for a newbie guitarist rather than splashing out on a JCM series Marshall.

I used to play nothing but thrash. For that reason the pedal was great, and as I've said it was a good choice for my beginner stages of playing guitar. I've been playing 5 years now, and own quality leads, a solid guitar and my wicked Laney VH100R. Back when it worked, I loved it and even considered buying a new one before I upgraded amps. But now, I wouldn't bother, maybe as an EQ thing, but not as a effect pedal, why would I not use the distortion from a 100w valve amp? If someone stole of me now, I'd laugh and be curious if they got it to work haha. 3 years ago, I would chase them down.

Hmmm. Well the pedal was 3rd hand when I got it and had been treated rather poorly. I can say I didn't treat it much better. I couldnt use the Power supply with it because it killed the signal. The wires had to be resoldered every day. Eventually I gave up on it when it died ten times during a gig. By that stage I had a Roland Cube 60 and just threw it away in anger and switched to my Roland r-fier setting, which I now prefer. I'm giving it a low score because I don't know if a new unit would hold up as well... keep in mind this thing was abused.

The good thing about these little bastards are they're plentiful to get your hands on and it's a good starting point for a beginner guitarist to experiment with a flexible tonal option. 6 dials to contorl you're metal tone \m/ 1 volume, 1 Drive, and 4 middle controls for your EQ. The mids controls (3rd from left) are neat in the fact they can be controlled to a 2nd degree, as in how much presence they can have overall in the tone of the effect. Very easy to tweak, and you'll be playing in no time.

This a kick ass pedal. Kinda tricky to get really killer sounds using the EQ. But overall damn good for my syle of music. I play thrash metal. And for much, much heavier stuff i'd use a Metal Core.
    RGshred88
    if u want a noisy and digital sound get this pedal.....if not save for a better amp or a tube distortion pedal.
    DoomsdayRyder69
    it's actually quite easy to get a blues sound out of it. more like a blues-rock, but no matter. get a better amp, first thing. i used to have a Crate GTD120. i had my pedal set to essentially a hard rock/metal setting, but i used to overdrive channel on the amp to mellow out the sound, giving me somewhat of an eighties dirty rock sound, similar to Aerosmith or GnR. once you've had this pedal for about six months, you get a real handle over what setting will give you what sound. it also goes very well with a Dunlop CFH Wah Pedal
    raviction
    I dont find this pedal nosiy and obviously when u bring the guitar or the pedal close to the amp, you are certain to get that hiss. The EQ is an added advantage which comes with this pedal. You can get a wide range of sounds from this pedal. Dont go by the name "Metal Zone". It can do more than that. You can get warm tones, crunch tones and you can even get a DS-1 kinda sound from this [Trust me]. So folks who are gonna get a DS-1 in near future, drop that plan and go for this, because DS-1 has a more treblish kinda sound which you migh tnot like it.
    alles7
    i love this pedal.. i rock it with a 1958 explorer and theres nothing like it!
    trivium036
    AHHH TOO MANY REVIEWS, EXTREMELY POINTLESS. 3 REVIEWS IS ENOUGH. I felt caps was necessary because after all those reviews this comment would feel too miniscule without them.
    pantallica95
    green day is NOT metal. neither is evanescence, linkin park, or MCR (shudder).
    pantallica95
    Sicko 21X7 wrote: too much feedback, bad ass tones and all. just too much feedback
    i cant get mine to feed back at all. have to boost the gain w/my amp dist
    randomhero93
    pantallica95 wrote: footychimp wrote: I like nu-metal, rock, alternative rock, punk, grunge and bit of metal and thrash like greenday, evanescence, linkink park, trivium, my chemical romance... green day is NOT metal. neither is evanescence, linkin park, or MCR (shudder).
    He just listed 7 different styles and i do believe greenday falls under the punk/alternative rock.
    Curmic189
    It is good for metal, but too harsh for rock or blues (unless you are going hard rock or grunge maybe). Great for pinch harmonics and mad riffing. Sounds bad at low gain level. I have a MG30DFX Marshall 30W amp. When I use this pedal with it, it sounds harsh and flat. Even when I change the EQ every which way. But when I use my amp's overdrive instead (even set to lower gain and volume) the sound is fuller and feels more 3-dimensional than the pedal. Maybe round/projecting is better description thand 3D. So the pedal has flat and bad tone compared to good old amp overdrive.
    thecheat3224
    This pedal is great for any type of metal, grunge, punk, alternative, etc. This was my first pedal, and I'm not gonna let go of it any time soon.
    mappy
    This pedal is awesome!!!! the sound with my les paul run through my Marshall comes out amazing!!!!