MT-2 Metal Zone review by Boss

Boss: MT-2 Metal Zone

Price paid: € 35

Purchased from: Huuto.net

Getting a great sound out of the MT-2 is quick and painless. All in all there are 6 different knobs and all of them make a big difference to the sound. I haven't noticed any noise with the MT-2. I use this pedal for playing metal, like various death & doom metal bands, and of course, Metallica. The distortion sound is fantastic. I've had several other pedals and the distorted sound was always took weak for my taste. Not with this unit! The equalizer controller knobs are great, add some bass and you get a great sound for rhytm guitar, add some treble with lots of distortion and you get an extremely heavy Metallica tone. Add some more treble & distortion and you can play In Flames.

This pedal is perfect with extreme metal. I use it mainly with guitars that have EMG 81/85 pickups. If my MT-2 was stolen or lost, I'd get it again. While more expensive (about 90 euros) than your average effects pedal, it doesn't cost a fortune and it gives you much better metal sound than any of the other pedals I've tried so far. Of course having some extra effects like chorus, reverb, delay, tremolo, etc. would be nice, but I just plug in my V-AMP2 with pre-amp bypass for that. I love the equalizer feature of the MT-2. Compared to the distorted sounds of the V-AMP2, the MT-2 beats it hands down. I also tried DigiTech Death Metal, which also sounded good, but the MT-2 is less fuzzy.

The casing of the pedal is not cheap plastic, it's metal. I could depend on it on a gig without a backup. But then again, even as new the unit costs only about 90 euros - for this price, it's worth getting two for live playing. The hardware is made to last.

I bought my MT-2 "MetalZone" from an internet auction. It came without a power adapter and the unit works with a 9V battery. The manual explains the basic settings well, but the MT-2 is really simple and easy to use. I recommend taking a look at the example settings from the manual, they give some nice sounds. I didn't try editing patches yet.

Megadeaf
    I have a mod that makes a Metal Zone sound better. You will need a hammer and a strong arm. Smash pedal repeatedly.
    duzit89
    scaleboy12 wrote: The MXR fullbore metal is superior. it's analog and has a noise gate
    yeah.. about how many years after the metalzone was made.. The Fullbore came out..
    pinheadslts75
    I believed the hype and bought this pedal several years ago. In my opinion this pedal is a piece of shit. It's horribly thin and tinny sounding no matter where you set the treble and the distortion is completely over the top. I can't imagine actually playing live or recording with this pedal. You can get a much better metal sound by using an Ibanez Tubescreamer as a boost pedal on your amp's overdrive/lead channel.
    AdrianCrash
    I used to hate the MT-2 but with the time i learned how to get good tones of it, you can get pretty decent tones of it, better that some multi FX dist.
    DannyJigg
    I have one of these and could never really get stunning sound out of it. Dont get me wrong, it was good, but nothing special. Diezel mod is the way forward with this - better eq range, more low end grunt and a better range of distortion. @ soadrhcpmuse: It would probably generate a fair amount of hum but there are ways round that.
    soadrhcpmuse
    @ DannyJigg thanks for the reply man. would you say this is better then the metal muff???
    soadrhcpmuse
    @rockandmetalfan i would really use this in any kind of metal over the md-2. but if you want a metal and a rock sound that would be good pedal. but if you want a GOOD metal sound and rock sound, i would say get this and the boss ds-1.
    Japgun
    Al the low grades come with people with strats. It has a lot of trebs in it. At first I didn't like it, but now with some tweaking in the sound. It sounds pretty good. (kill the mids!)