MT-2 Metal Zone review by Boss

Boss: MT-2 Metal Zone

Price paid: A$ 120

Purchased from: Arties

This pedal used to belong to a mate of mine who used it with his Cort X-series guitar but now I own it and have used multiple guitars with it (Including bass guitar). The current Guitar I use now is the Ibanez GIO and an old amp (That I cannot recall the brand. It is probably some cheap brand). The pedal can achieve some great volume especially with the distortion and level knob turned all the way up along with the high and mid equalize knobs. However to get a crisp distortion sound a basic technique is to lower the level knob and turn the distortion up while to gain a "Chunkier" sound it would be in vice versa. Depending on your pedals settings the sound output will be as loud and as strong as you want it to be. This pedal is really good for metal artists especially those who want more power in their distortion (This is why Swedish death metal bands prefer this pedal). Adam Jones from Tool uses multiple effect pedals but with the right tweaking to it's settings(And down tuning your guitar) the MT-2 Metal Zone pedal has a very similar sound to his distortion.

I play mainly metal (Black, death, etc) and personally if I was playing Swedish death metal this pedal would be perfect but in reality any type of metal suits it. I have been playing guitar and bass for 3 years now. I own 2 guitars, 1 bass guitar, a bass amp (sadly no guitar amp), heaps of leads, the MT-2 pedal, a crossfire delay pedal and the ME-25 pedal. If this pedal was stolen it really wouldn't matter to me much because I have the ME-25 (Plus my MT-2 pedal is sadly broken) but I would miss it. One thing I will always remember about this pedal is that it was not only the first one I ever had but the fact that all the years of abuse it still was as strong as ever. It had an amazing sound and was great for mobility (Being so small it wouldn't take up much room). The one thing I didn't like about this pedal was that it sucked up a 9 volt battery in a short time and in my area they are pretty costly, I also wish I had got the 9 volt adapter. All in all I personally believe the MT-2 Metal Zone is a great pedal for both amateur and professional musicians and is guaranteed to last many years to come.

I have lost count the amount times I dropped, knocked and stomped this pedal but no matter what it is still very strong and durable. The only time It has literally broken on me was when it was fully breaking to pieces after about 4-5 years in use. Alike all Boss products this one wont let you down and will stay strong no matter what and is built to last. However I am very skeptical when using only 1 pedal at a gig so just to be safe it is always good to have a back up handy.

I have to personally admit that this pedal is a great pedal to use for both gigs and playing for fun. Unlike other pedals the MT-2 Metal Zone pedal has more than 2 basic knobs for distortion and level, It also includes 2 equalizer knobs that allow you to change the frequency of your sound giving you an either cold distorted sound (Hey it is a distortion pedal after all!) or a warm fuzzy sound with a simple twist of the knobs. Does take a little bit to get used to though but once you find the sound you want it becomes simple switching between clean and distortion without worry.