MT-2 Metal Zone review by Boss

Boss: MT-2 Metal Zone

Price paid: A$ 50

Purchased from: Forum member

My view on the MT-2 is that it is a very useful tool for variation in tone. I have a few great sounding tube amps but there are times when I want my tone more distorted and more metallic. This pedal does manage to enable tones one cannot get out of most tube amps (sometimes I am not looking for the sound to be beautiful and instead want harshness). I have a few amps but I use this mainly with an Ibanez TSA15 combo and run it with a Biyang EQ pedal and either a Squier Classic Vibe or a Schecter Omen Extreme. The other amp I have is a Jet City 2112RC. This pedal cannot recreate the amazing sound of that amp but it can do metal very well. I sometimes enjoy a harsh metallic sound and this pedal does it very well. Its also great at doing a Metallica sound. I love how this pedal gives me options.

I am happy to keep this pedal for all the flexibility it can give me. It certainly does not do everything but I am still exploring all the combinations and permutations of sounds I can get out of it. I feel that most people tend to dismiss equipment because they cannot be bothered to tweak and play around with it. I think it is a winner and I highly recommend it. Other similar sounding pedals are the Boss DS-1. That pedal had a similar sound signature but compared to the MT-2 its like it has one ball cut off. The MT-2 is mad and because of that it is entertaining.

Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Its a Boss. Why should I have to say anything more than that.

The MT-2 is a pedal that is not easy to get a good sound out of. It is also not impossibly hard. It just takes patience and some knowledge. When I first got it I certainly got an earful of what everyone describes as a can full of angry bees. All knobs were set at 12 o'clock. It took some help from a friend and quite a bit of fiddling with the knobs before I was able to dial in some really great tones out of it. For instance one has to work the four eq knobs to dial in more bass and dial back some treble. Here is what I stumbled across purely by accident. I found I can get unbelievable clean tones for finger picking arpeggios that approach the sound of an acoustic. It may be unique to my setup but what I do is to use strat with low output pickups into a MT-2 into an Ibanez Tubescreamer amp without the tubescreamer engaged. I turn the MT-2 bass up a bit (around 1 o'clock), and the two mid controls down a bit (around 10 to 11) and have the gain as low as I can get so I can still get a nicely distorted power chord. At this stage the gain is around 8 o'clock (the first increment). I then turn the volume down on the guitar till the power chord goes from being distorted to being merely overdriven. At this stage I am in finger picking heaven and it sounds like the strings on a Yamaha FG700 acoustic. I only discovered this because I had to turn the amp down because it was very late at night.

Haden
    of course you could run it over with a ford....cause there shit and couldnt crush a frog...DODGE ALL THE WAY!!!