MT-2 Metal Zone review by Boss

Boss: MT-2 Metal Zone

Purchased from: www.gak.co.uk

I am using this pedal with Jackson guitars and a Marshall MG amp. This pedal makes such a bad amp sound tons better. There is a bit of noise with this pedal, not background buzz but a high pitched noise in the background which is unnoticeable when the guitar is being played but annoying during breaks in the music. This may just be my setup or one faulty unit so please do not judge every metal zone pedal on a problem I am having. The effects are great as long as you spend a lot of time getting the sound you want. They get a bit muddy and grainy at times. I have a generic metal sound which works well with everything I play (things like Maiden, Helloween, Queensryche, The Big Four, etc.) this pedal has a nice natural distortion that doesn't sound digital like some other pedals.

I play most sub genres of metal and hard rock. This pedal is built for metal hence the name. don't get it if your gonna be playing The Beatles and Jimi Hendrix. I've found it to suit all styles of metal very well. If this pedal was stolen I would track down whoever stole it and get it back or buy another one. It's perfect for me.

I would definitely use this pedal at a gig without any backup. Boss pedals are like tanks so I would have no worries at all. There is no way it could be broken and it sounds the same with any amps I have used it with. This is the only distortion pedal you need to play metal.

This pedal is fairly easy to use. It is quite hard to get the tone you want but if you spend some time adjusting it you will find the tone you want. The manual is good but the presets do not represent the best you can get out of the pedal. If you just spend 5 mins scooping the mids expecting it to sound awesome it wont. It took me 3 days to get the perfect tone but the pedal is great once you've got it.

Northernmight
    However, i'd suggest putting some real money in and buy something proper, or get a nice tube amp that you can distort. It seems that the buyers of this pedal are usually metal kids who's been playing for a short amount of time through digital amps and that. For you people, i would ALWAYS suggest to invest in quality from the get go. All the "Buy something shit now, buy something good later" is terrible advice. Get quality, and you won't need to look for new stuff for a long time. And your sound will obviously be improved tenfold. Anyway. For a short review. Please, please, for the sake of anyone with a pair of ears, and the sake of the very concept of tone - do not buy this pedal.
    Northernmight
    I'm sorry, but this to me is the most terrible distortion ever made. I HATE IT. The sound of it kills my ****ing ears. So many local metal bands used to use it. And it just sounds TERRIBLE. I HATE how people always write overly positive reviews of whatever they buy, even if it's terrible Back when i used to write for a metal magazine, i always urged people to call their local pest exterminator upon the discovery of a musician using the metal-zone. It's like a hundred bees, buzzing, coming to reap your mind. If you like fakey distortions, i'd say go for the Line 6 UBER METAL - that one is actually good. hate to piss people off with this, but all the positive scores really annoys me. It is probably the worst pedal i've ever heard. Ever.
    DarkWolfXV
    This sounds great if you leave mids and mid freq neutral, if you screw much with mids it sounds quite bad.