MT-2 Metal Zone review by Boss

Boss: MT-2 Metal Zone

Purchased from: craigslist

I play mostly metal obviously, but you can set this thing to give you a plain distortion, too. But if you're going for plain distortion you should just go with the Boss DS-1. The effects are good, and you can get the sound of metal bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, etc.

I've been playing for 4 years. Got into metal a few years ago and this pedal can deliver that great, crunchy sound that I enjoy so much. If it was stolen I'd get another one for sure. The only thing to compare it to would be the ML-2 Metal Core. I haven't played through the ML-2 but I know people who enjoy that as well. I think you generally want to get your hardcore/grindcore sound with the ML-2 and your metal sound with the MT-2. So it's pretty much just preference. I'd say try them both out, but I'm very happy with my decision.

Very dependable and durable. I generally like to use a power adapter with this but you can stay with the 9V battery, too. It lasts a long time as long as you remember to unplug the 1/4" cable when you're done. You can gig without a backup, but maybe keep a DS-1 with you just in case.

It might take a little adjusting to get the sound you want, but it's not hard. Very easy to use. You can look up a manual online if you don't have one with you, so that's not a problem. The manual will give you particular settings for different sounds(thrash, hard rock, metal).

theogonia777
    How many unhelpful reviews does this thing really need? Anyway, the thing that never ceases to amaze me about this pedal is how people seem to expect that a pedal that was designed over 20 years ago (probably older than about half the users on this site) is going to get them super tight modern sounding tone. Talk about unrealistic expectations. I also love how all the reviews are about 49.5% clueless newbies with no idea what they're doing, 49.5% are people faulting an apple for not being an orange, and 1% are actually somewhat useful.
    gypsyblues7373
    mad4metal wrote: How do you people get sounds like Zeppelin and Hendrix out of this pedal? A hard as I try I can not get much other than a thrash metal sound or a hard rock sound.
    I've actually seen this pedal on Warren Haynes' board. Had to do a double-take.