MT-2 Metal Zone review by Boss

Boss: MT-2 Metal Zone

Purchased from: Online - can't remember site

I've played this pedal through lots of different amps - the better the amp, the better the overall sound (as you would expect) but the character of the MT-2 is strong throughout. Due to the way I have mine configured this means that this one pedal can make any amp I've tried sound like me, which is handy. I'm also generally confident with broadly similar settings across a range of guitars (although I back off the distortion a little on single coil guitars). The main gripe people seem to have with this pedal is that it generates a buzzy/fizzy/sterile sound. It certainly can do that and that's not my thing either! The trick is really understanding the EQ options which are really good on this pedal. I have my High at 1 o clock, my Low around 3 o clock, Middle around 10 o clock and Mid Freq around 4.30 - where they pretty much stay all the time, the distortion is the only thing I alter. This will give you a big heavy metal tone with a lot of chunk and thud but also sounds very musical and not at all buzzy. I play a lot of classic metal songs as well as prog metal and I can't really use the 'buzzy' sound in most of what I play. It isn't noisy at all with humbuckers unless you really Drive it crazy by compressing the hell out of the signal before the pedal or adding other overdrives in as well. I sometimes do these things and use a Boss NS-2 to take away the noise - but without these exceptions- it is not noisy at all. This is my favourite effects pedal (and I've owned a few!)

As I mentioned above, I play mostly classic rock and metal with a bit of progressive rock/metal thrown in. I've been playing around 12 years, I'd definitely buy another if I lost it and I've never found a distortion pedal I get on with as well as this one.

Very reliable, I've have mine around 11 years and done lots of gigs with it. Recently (last 2 weeks) I actually managed to damage the output socket and had to resolder it, but it has taken a bit of abuse of the years. It even got soaked in water once, stopped working for a few hours then was fine again when it dried out. Very reliable operation - not like some pedals which don't always activate - this one is ultra dependable. Yes, I'd gig without a backup - although I do have another distortion (Boss DS-1) in my chain which I could crank up if I really had to (generally I use the DS-1 for more classic rock sounds and as a solo boost).

I find this pedal pretty straightforward to use but I've given it an 8 only due to the fact that it seems that not understanding the various controls is what can sometimes give this pedal a bad name, more explained later. Level, High, Low, Middle, Middle Freq and Distortion controls make it easy to shape a very big range of distortion tones, particularly for metal although there's nothing to stop you rolling back the distortion for other genres.

Basti95
    I'm with the guys 10 reviews ago who said there were enough reviews of this pedal. In synthesis: if you think you want to buy the MT-2, wait a bit, save up your money, you'll get over it.
    josh.more
    seriously, if you think this pedal is "amazing" or "everything you could need" save up and try something better. it's worth spending the extra.