MT-2 Metal Zone review by Boss

Boss: MT-2 Metal Zone

Purchased from: Absolute music (Poole)

I use this with a Peavey Vypyr 30 watt amp, and a Jackson JS32 Kelly and Ibanez GRG170DX. As well as a few times with a PRS Soapbar. The pedal is good at providing lots of distortion. But I found the sound very thin and lifeless. The shop gave me time to try it out on some kind of Blackstar amp and it sounded a lot better, but it doesn't suit my amp.

I mainly play thrash metal; Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, Anthrax etc. And with some amps, I think it would be great. I've been playing about 6 1/2 years but have only really started using pedals since I got an old Sound City SC30. Which was part of the reason I bought the pedal (its distortion a the moment is from a cheap Fab Metal pedal, and I thought I needed something better) as well as for use on my Vypyr. I like the amount of gain, and it does that job quite well, but its a shame about the tone I get, and I have spent 3+ hours trying to get it right.But I chose this over the metal core. If it were lost it stolen, I don't think I'd buy it again, and am trading it for the Proco RAT2 (which I would recommend over this, it sounds great and the sound can be varied enough to suit every amp I've tried on it). The rat also has a better range of gain.

YouTube preview picture

As with other Boss pedals, it is built very strongly, I've only had it a few weeks but I'm sure it could take anything I could do to it. I wouldn't need a backup if I were gigging with it.

This pedal is relatively easy to use, it has miss high and low settings as well as mid freq, volume and distortion. It can be difficult to find the best setting (not as hard as some say) and the manual is a gives some good ideas to play with.

Metaldoneeasy
    Some good pointers: -If you crank the hi on your metal zone turn the hi down on your amp. And if you crank the treble on your amp turn the hi down on your metal zone. Keep the mids on your pedal in the Heavy Metal setting which is mid 10pm and freq. 2pm when fulling around with the hi's if you are into any kind of metal. The frequency knobs don't sound warm in any other position than the heavy metal position. See MT-2 manual for heavy metal setting. Searing Lead Tone -Crank the level knob on the MT-2 to boost the mids and bring the low to 12pm when you do this unless you want mud city. You will have to decrease the bass on your amp when doing this or else MUD CITY nad you should get close to a very searing lead tone. Rhythm -Keep MT-2 Level at 12noon when boosting the low knob and never boost low past 3pm. Never boost low on amp past 3pm. Keep mids on MT-2 in heavy metal position shown on MT-2 manual settings. You will need to keep your amps vol near 12pm pr 2pm tp cut through the low end and you should have a heavy chest thumping palm mute tone. NOTE: these settings work best with a 10 band MXR EQ pedal with mids cut out on it for leads and mids and hi's scooped out for rhythm. The MT-2 works best with solid state amps for tighter attack and tone remains the same on a solid state. Bass heavy solid states are the best for this pedal. Steer clear from Marshall amps.
    Metaldoneeasy
    SORRY meant to say You will need to keep your amps treble near 12pm or 2pm to cut through the low end and you should have a heavy chest thumping palm mute tone.
    beastaw56
    This was the first pedal i got. And it was like i fell in love with playing guitar all over again. (well i am like that with every pedal i get) but this one hold a special place in my heart cause it was FIRST!
    cliff niesen
    I bought a MG 50 Marshall thinking that I would not no longer need my Metal zone & other pedals. I told the manager at guitar center & he said its because I need to buy a tube amp. What bull. as I learned when I played Guitar in the beginning about 20 something years. You will need pedals for not only metal but Rock n Roll. Why do the even put these over drives on them? they all suck. My Marshall is $799
    cliff niesen
    The Metal Zone is the best as I said that I thought that I would not need these pedals once I bought a tube amp. A Marshall tube 10" speaker. I tried a solid state & the manager at Guitar center said I would no longer need a pedal. I do not know what music he must play? I use it on my clean station with a octave divider, a flanger, Delay, & of course my metal zone. Its not just for metal it has many settings so you get that sound. I also set it with the so called great overdrive settings on the Marshall to really give a push. If you do that; you must not over set pedal distortion because the amp has distortion but it does not have the High & low settings. This takes time to set correct so just leave it on the clean setting this way you just have to mess with the pedals & play. I wish they had an affordable am that comes with a metal zone set in it. Not those want'a be toys. So, I guess we must always rely on pedals I just don't understand why they build amps with that crappy overdrive when they need to put other setting. That is the same as having an overdrive pedal; its not enough! You must have a pedal & a few at that to develop your sound.