NS-2 Noise Suppressor review by Boss

Boss: NS-2 Noise Suppressor

Purchased from: Belfast Guitar Emporium

I use it with an Ibanez RG470 through a Marshall AVT100, which is quite a noisy amp. The NS-2 seems best at cutting pedal noise, it totally silences my compression pedal, distortion pedal and my wah, and doesn't seem to suck my tone at all. It's not as efficient at cutting amp noise (I tried putting it through my FX loop, but this did nothing) although, even plugged through the front of my amp, with my other pedals going through the NS-2's send-return circuit, it cuts quite a large amount of noise, just not all. Still, it's invaluable for cutting pedal noise.

Very good, it does what it says on the tin, and doesn't suck tone (that I can tell). It's just a pity it doesn't cut amp noise more. If it were stolen/broken, I'd probably buy another, but I'd also like to try out some of its rivals to see if they handle amp noise any better. Still, a good solid 4 stars.

I haven't gigged with it, but I've had no problems yet.

It's very easy to use: there are only 3 knobs on it, threshold (determines the sound level the signal needs to fall below before the NS-2 silences it), decay (determinies the time before the effect kicks in - the further clockwise you turn it, the more natural it sounds, but it will be less efficient at cutting noise. You can pretty much leave this at minimum, unless it sounds un-natural to your ears) and mode. There are two modes: reduction, which means when the pedal is off, nothing is happening, and when the pedal is on, it cuts noise; and mute, which cuts noise when the pedal is off, and totally mutes your sound (e.g. for tuning) when the pedal is on. There's also a handy led to tell you when it is actually cutting noise. It has a send-return circuit for plugging your other pedals into.