NS-2 Noise Suppressor review by Boss

Boss: NS-2 Noise Suppressor

Purchased from: Local Music Store

I'm using a Schecter C-1 Classic with EMG 81 pickup, into a Peavey 5150II (with a rackmounted Rocktron effects processor, BBE Sonic maximizer, Alesis Compressor/Gate, and other non-tone effecting units). Now, you may ask, if I have a noise gate in the rackmount, why would I want a pedal as well? For starters, with an active pickup, the guitar itself is noisy, and any high gain amplifier is definately going to generate some noise as well. I use this pedal between guitar and amp, and then the other gate in the effects loop. This basically eliminates all sound when I'm not playing, where with just the other gate, it goes down to a quiet but audible hissing sound (when the distortion is on, obviously). Regardless, this pedal works amazing by itself, and anyone who is playing anything with a fair amount of gain would do well to have some sort of noise gate. This one works as good or better than the others!

I obviously play mainly heavier stuff, in the style of God Forbid, Arch Enemy, Fear Factory, etc. While I'm nowhere near their levels of playing, I have an ear for tone and I know what sounds good and what doesn't. And what everyone can agree sounds terrible is BAD feedback, not the sweet kind bands start their show off with, but the bad kind between notes, hence this pedal. I personally don't need it, but I think it would be a great idea to build a tuner right into this pedal. there's two major needs, right at your feet, in the same pedal.

Boss pedals are tough, you need to put some effort into breaking them physically. I suppose it's somewhat succeptable to a power surge, but if you use batteries, or any intelligent type of external powering, you should be fine.

This pedal is very easy to use. It's the only type of pedal that makes no sound at all, in a good way. It's built like a tank, and although most of my stuff is rackmounted, I make some pedal-exceptions and this is definately one of them.