NS-2 Noise Suppressor review by Boss

Boss: NS-2 Noise Suppressor

Purchased from: GuitarCenter.com

I currently use it with my Gretsch G5129, Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer, FBM-1 '59 Fender Bassman & Ibanez DE7 Echo/Delay pedals. It all goes through a Fender Blues Jr. NOS amp. I wanted the NS-2 since the DeArmond pickups in my Gretsch get that 60 cycle hum when I Switch to either neck or bridge pickups. The other Boss pedals just add to the noise, making it annoying to play at higher volumes. I have the Threshold set at the 11 o'clock position and the Decay at the 8 o'clock position to get back a bit of the Gretsch's sustain. I have it set on Mute mode, since I use it as a pseudo "Standby" for my amp, since my amp doesn't have that feature. The Boss pedals are hooked up to the Send/Return loop, so it kills the noise from them. All I have to do is turn on the NS-2 and turn off the Echo pedal (which is in between the Output jack on the NS-2 and my amp) and I got Standby mode. The tone of the effects seems unaffected. The only good thing is that there's no more hum coming from them! I can now play my Gretsch in the Bridge pickup position to get that Rockabilly twang without being annoyed by the 60 cycle hum!

I play nothing but Rockabilly and the NS-2 was necessary as the FBM-1 is an Overdrive pedal which amplifies the hum and adds noise. The CS-3 is known to be noisy (it is). The NS-2 cleans up my sound and is super easy to dial in. If I lost it or had it stolen, I'd get one the same day. I can't Live without it now, since I'm amazed at the difference it makes.

As with all Boss pedals, it's indestructable! I would gig without a backup, since I have that much confidence with Boss pedals. So far the extent of my gigging has been to set up and play at friend's and family's houses. The last time was in my cousin's garage Xmas eve when it was raining and close to 40 degrees outside. My wet shoes and the cold humid air had no effect on my pedals at all. Boss pedals are built to last!

This pedal is as simple as it can get. The Threshold knob controls the volume at which the silencing kicks in and the Decay knob controls the timing at which the silencing kicks in. The rightmost knob is the Mode selector. One position is for noise reduction when it's on and nothing when off. The other position is for noise reduction when it's off and muting when it's on. The manual is good, as it tells you to keep the Decay knob at the CCW-most position initially and to tweak it from there. Other than that, the pedal is easy to dial in.

adamlovesbcrich
    I just got my first half-stack, all tube. It was ALOT noisier than i expected. My guitar has EMG-81 and 85 then i go to a Digitech Whammy then Boss delay then straigh to the amp. If i were to get this pedal, would it work? and where in my chain would i put it?
    highwayone73
    Got mine used awhile ago. Wouldn't play without it. My amp isnt too noisey but all my guitars-except my Blackout equipped Flying V-are. Plus I've got a pretty broad, and constantly changing taste in pedals so this little guy is really handy. I'd still take a Decimator over one of these though. More expensive, but those things are awesome.
    tristan_deity
    these are rally ****ing expencive if you buy them brand new in australia, god dam 170$!! but i have really shitty equiptment (magnum guitar, 100w ashton, boss gt8) and this does a pretty good job, it actually makes my crap equip sound good. the only problem is that when your holding killer note at the end of a solo it will probably cut it off a bit to soon. mind you i think that if you had like a through neck or some pickups with pretty good sustain you probs wont have this problem. any way ive been playing for 4 years so i know my shit and this my friens is a definate good buy.
    el Joes
    i bought a dunlop brick pedal power supply 2 months ago and since i connected my pedals there's a little hum, i just want to know is if this ns-2 can cut this annoying sound ?