NS-2 Noise Suppressor review by Boss

Boss: NS-2 Noise Suppressor

Price paid: C$ 111.67

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

I use a Ibanez RGR421EXFM with the stock V8/V7 pickups into a 5150 2x12 combo. At playing level, I would get a TON of unwanted feedback and that was my main concern when setting out for a noise gate. I practiced last night with it and WOW is all I can say. I feel stupid for waiting this long to get a noise suppressor. It is a MUST with any hi gain amp in my opinion. It effectively elminated all feedback even when I was standing 2 feet away from it. I will be using the NS-2 in the "X-pattern" to quiet down the pre-amp hiss as well. Google it if you're not sure what this is. Only quams I have if any is that when holding a sustained note for a long time, it seems to have like a whammy-bar effect. Anyway, definitely works for what it's intended.

I play heavy droptuned Death Metal ala Black Dahlia, All Shall Perish type stuff and a noise gate is a must for this type of music. I've been playing for roughly 4 years and the band I'm in plays shows regularly. If it were lost or stolen I would definitely buy a new one. I think I would go with an ISP Decimator next time though. Overall, the NS-2 is a great noise suppressing unit for a reasonable price. Highly recommended for anyway seeking to get rid of unwanted noise.

Boss pedals are built road-worthy. Sure they're not "boutique" pedals, but they get the job done and will last a very long time. I will be using this pedal for a show on saturday and I can't wait to see how it performs. I have owned a Boss MT-2 (poopy btw) for like 5 years and it has stood up well so I have no worries about this pedal.

Well it's pretty simple. There's 2 modes on the NS-2. Reduction mode and mute mode. While playing with the Reduction feature, the NS-2 will not eliminate noise until you step on (engage) the pedal. In mute mode, while the pedal is off it is in effect "on". It eliminates unwanted noise while it is disengaged. When the pedal is "on" in mute mode, it completely eliminates ALL sound. Effectively, muting your signal.

jbag
    Mgkrcks wrote: this is why i love line 6 amps. you don't need like half of these pedals. great for un-rich people and i guess beginners.
    I purchased a Line 6 solid state amp that had all those features...too confusing. I want SIMPLE & TUBE. And Solid State? No thank you....the shelf life of Solid State is well "unknown"?? Heat is the biggest killer of Solid State anything! I had a Crate Amp. that would just lose 90% of it's volume after about an hour into practice. Once it cooled down it would return to normal. This just won't cut it in the middle of a live gig. Stay away from solid State and line 6 if you're gonna gig! I returned the line 6 for full refund picked up an Epiphone Blues Custom 30 Combo Tube Amp off Craigslist. What a buy!! A $700.00 amp for $300 in perfect/NEW condition! Now I am adding pedals as I need 'em (Ebay/Craigslist to SAVE money). I now need a noise suppressor, but after reviewing (what appear to be)the top 3(?) : NS-2, MXR and ISP Decimator...I'm about to bid on a Decimator. As far as the Line 6 Pods with all the effects, the other guitarist in our band just "tossed" both of his Line 6 Pods as they were stealing power from his new Fender amp. What a relief...no more SCREECHING Line 6 Pod noise!!!!
    Leather Sleeves
    Our band just had our first gig and I had a pretty embarassing Line 6 Pod experience. Never again. I'm getting a Decimator as well. But you shouldn't knock all solid state amps. Another band was using a line 6 amp and it stood up well and my amp's a Peavey Supreme and I just realized after taking to Pod out of the mix that it actually sounds great. If anything decent solid state amps are easier to maintain especially at gigs when they're getting knocked around and heating is more a tube problem really. There must have been some other issue with your Crate if it was losing volume.
    dukeluke1
    ok so i have a stock epiphone casino which has horrid feedback whenever you turn overdrive on at gigging levels.i tried walking away from the amp and i know because its fully hollow it was always doomed to feedback with highish gain ( i play alot of punk and blues) so my question is would one of these stop this? thanks
    Wraithbound
    I need a noise supressor BECAUSE I have a Line 6...
    If it's a spyder, it has a built in one.
    shortylem407
    I bought this pedal from a friend like 4 months ago, its one of the best pedals I've ever bought. It eliminates the unwanted feedback, it does its job great! I highly recommend this pedal!