OC-3 Super Octave review by Boss

Boss: OC-3 Super Octave

Price paid: C$ 120

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

The pedal sounds really great, even when you have a Squir Strat and a Randall RG75D, which is what I use. The Drive channel is really great if you want to add a little break-up, or if you want an incredibly abnoxious, fuzzy tone. The OCT 2 mode sounds really nice, and if you want to add a second octave to your sound, you can. I find it sounds really neat if you play higher up the neck, but if you play lower down it just sounds really growly. Just remember not to play chords in the OCT 2 mode. If you plan to play chords with the POLY mode, it just gives it a more fuller sound.

If you just play a whole bunch of styles of music, of if you're not sure what you play, I would strongly recomend buying it. I've had it for 2 months, and so far, it hasn't failed me (exept for te battery).

It's in a really durable steel case, so I don't think it would break if I droped from 10 feet high onto a cement floor. As for reliability, I would not play a gig with it useing only a battery. I had problems with the battery the first day I got it, so buy the PSA adapter (not included). Eversince I got the PSA adapter, I never had any trouble with it.

This pedal is good for a lot of styles. You can change your sound a whole lot with only four knobs. The POLY mode is great for playing chords, and works really well.

jecosmitty
    I see alot of people going on about replacing bass...how about just for the sake of expanding your sound, you know? You know maybe just buy a bass or find a bass player to jam with instead..it's a shame when UG site review doesn't review as much as it does go off track.. I've tried an octive pedal once and thought wow, makes my grooves thicker, right, that could be cool...so, what's the deal with this pedal? I saw somebody say something about playing harmonic 5ths but never a response...I'm wondering the same, any good? ...keep rockin' folks!
    Slap-happy
    If you are attempting to simulate the sound of a bass on guitar and have more than one pickup available (and an independant tone) select your neck pickup (it'll track the notes better than a bridge pickup - also, single coils tend to track better, although I've rarely had problems with humbuckers), roll your tone control back a little and EQ you amp accordingly (if there's three tone controls try; Bass: 4 o'clock, Mid: 12 o'clock, Treble: 1 o'clock). It won't be the same as a Fender P-Bass through an Ashdown rig but it should suffice for home recording and fills when playing live with hardly anyone noticing.