OD-1 OverDrive Review

manufacturer: Boss date: 12/29/2014 category: Guitar Effects
Boss: OD-1 OverDrive
The sound of this overdrive is bright and kinda what I'm going for at this stage of my life.
 Ease of Use: 10
 9.8
 9.8
 9.7
 3,179
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
OD-1 OverDrive Reviewed by: brian_s, on december 29, 2014

Purchased from: My bass player

Ease of Use: It has a volume knob, a distortion knob and an on/off switch. Turn it on, set it, set the EQ on your amp and if you know how to make the guitar talk your good. Gives you grit, back off the volume knob and it cleans up. // 10

Sound: Grunge is my style and ever since I got this pedal it has become an integral part of my rig. My pedalboard is kinda big, but I don't use a lot of effects anymore. Distortion & wah wah for my solos and occasionally a touch of delay, tremolo, flanger & chorus. I plug into a Peavey Classic 30. My Peavey has an overdrive channel but this pedal slays it. When it's time to play, I turn it on and it stays on. The only thing that varies is the amount of distortion I set the pedal to per song.

It does produce your typical white noise (what dirt box doesn't) but it's an overdrive so it's not that noisy. The sound is bright and kinda what I'm goin' for at this stage of my life. Since it doesn't have a tone pot I tend to dial back the treble on the amp a little bit. Not really going for the D. Boon tone. If having a tone knob on your overdrive pedal is essential, you might wanna stray away from the OD1. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is from the late '70s and it's still working. Though when I got it the switch had to be replaced. It has seen a lot of wear and tear over the years but other then that everything else is in working order. The serial number has faded away so I can't date it precisely, but the transparent switch places it in the first two versions of the pedal. // 9

Overall Impression: As a friend of mine put it, my style is a mixture of grunge, stoner & prog all under a dark and heavy aura of my vocal. Been playing since mid 2002, different bands, different genres of rock music. Prior to this I never used an overdrive pedal. I'm using it for my main rhythm tone and then cranking it out with distortion & wah on the solos. Signal chain is quite long and I'm thinking of shortening it but for the time being it goes like this. Gibson SG / Ibanez SZ520 / Italian strat knockoff into the Dunlop high gain volume pedal, Dunlop JH-1 wah, TC Electronic Polytune, DigiTech Digidelay, the glorious Boss OD1, Captain FX Pantagana, Captain FX War Pig, MXR 6 Band EQ, EHX PulsarEHX Stereo Electric Mistress into the Peavey Classic 30 amp set to clean channel. As far as acquiring this pedal, I didn't buy it. One day my bassplayer said: "Hey I have this Boss overdrive I bought when I was 14, I haven't used it in forever. You wanna try it?" So yeah, sure, I'll try it. If lost I'd be bummed out. It has become near and dear to me. Also this is vintage gear, not that wide spread or cheap. I might try out a different overdrive, like the Ibanez Tubescreamer or the Fulltone OCD. // 10

Comments