OD-20 Drive Zone review by Boss

Boss: OD-20 Drive Zone

Purchased from: Music-Go-Round

My setup is an SG plugged into this, plugged into a Line6 Spyder ll 212. My poor amp is dying on me though, so I'm using this pedal to do the work, and run it through a clean channel. I suggest investing in a noise gate, that is, if you're using the higher gain models. I don't own one, and it's silent when bypassed, but feedback and hum are major problems for me when I have it on. It has a horrible squeal when I crank the Drive all the way up, but I can get a whole massacre of distortion without doing that anyway. The settings with less gain don't have that problem really. I can't crank my amp to see if those settings break to, because I Live in an appartment. I personally use the MT-2 model, with Drive at noon. Bottom, Attack Shape, and Heavy Octave all the way to the left. And Tone and Level all the way to the right. It gives me this insane distortion that I absolutely love. I'm not really one to imitate other people's tone though. I'm sure you could get just about anything outta this pedal, but I haven't tried.

Overall, this thing is awesome. I love it, and it apparently loves me. I mainly play a Nu Metal, and just all out complete meltdown-like metal. I can nail that perfect tone with this thing. Occasionly I do play light stuff. I enjoy blues and jazz, and it's great for that too. I would suggest this for any playing style, and I'd definitly replace it if it was ever lost or stolen. Like I said though, DO NOT forget your noise gate if you want mid-high. Message me if you have questions, or if you want suggestions on some good tones. I'd be glad to answer to the best of my knowledge.

It's Boss. You could make a bomb shelter outta these pedals. The paint might chip and whatnot, depending on how brutal you are with it, but I really don't see anything but cosmetic features ever wearing down. I literally could probably Drive over the damn thing, and it wouldn't break. Well, maybe the knobs, but that's obviously reasonable. The only problem is that it goes through 6 AA in 20 hours, but a power supply fixes that. It's a standard 9-volt jack. By the way, this could easily be taken to a gig without a backup, but I think it's always better to be safe, incase of a freak accident or something.

This was my first pedal, and I got a killer tone in less than a minute. It's fun to mess with the settings, and chances are, you'll get a good tone out of it. You don't need to know anything really to work this thing. I bought it used, so I didn't get a manual. Boss has all thier manuals online though, so it wasn't a problem. Everything is well explained in it. The one thing that should be noted, is that there is no ON/OFF Switch. It turns on when you plug into the input jack. I had to look it up in the manual to figure that out.

davidblackjuda2
    hi guys,i use this pedal with a Marshall 30 watt amp on clean channel,but i only play with the MT 2 and Metal effect,coz thats all i love,i'm much into heavy/black/goth metal stuffs.the DS1 is really deceiving sound,HM2 has got nothing to do with Heavy Metal sounds.the rest are absolute crap!no sustain at all.I wonder if my amp doesn't fit the OD20.the sounds still the same with headphones.is it bcoz its only 30 watt?