OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion review by Boss

Boss: OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion

Purchased from: Sound Control

I'm using the pedal with a Ibanez AR-300 (which I've also reviewed) through an ME-50 then through into a Marshall MG100DFX. This pedal can go insane with all the dials turned to full but even then it's not neccesarily unpleasant, well to me anyway. The pedal has a very thick cutting sound and combined with the different overdrives/distortions and the built in compressor in my ME-50 I can get some beautiful tones. I play a lot of 'oldies' stuff like Hendrix, Sabbath, the Stooges, Lynard Skynard and the almighty Zeppelin but also play a lot of contemporary stuff like At the Drive-in, Bloc Party, QOTSA, Foo Fighters, Metallica, RHCP, Nirvana, the list goes on. Nevertheless this pedal caters to what I require. The stand out feature of this pedael was the Colour dial that allows to meander from a classy Overdrive to smack-you-in-the-face distotion, it was this versatility that made me go for this pedal.

I've been playing the guitar since I was 8 and started electric 3 years ago when I was 15 and this pedal is a welcome addition to my tonal arsenal. If it were lost or stolen I'd be very unhappy and unwilling to buy it again straight away, but I know I would by the same model eventually (55 is a lot of money for a student). My favourite feature is the colour dial which really set it apart from the Boss pedals I tried. A cool thing I liked was that it came with a little poster of all the other Boss pedals which looks chipper on my wall. The ONLY snag is that it was a bit expensive, perhaps if it was 45 pounds, but this is only minor and I know I'll probably pass this down to my children (they'll play guitar goddamn it). All in all an excellent pedal.

Its a Boss, impenertrable like a Nun's underwear. I'd gladly gig without a back up. Plus it's a manly yellow that colour co-ordinates with the rest of my rig. The battery compartment is sealed by a screw at the front of the pedal and consequently allows for easy and secure access to the battery.

Typically of Boss this pedal can get great sound and is very user friendly. It has 4 'knobs': level which controls the overall volume of the pedal, tone which allows the user to adjust between a tighter crunchier sound to a more bassy, grungy sound, drive which controls the amount of overdrive/ distortion and colour which lets the user blend between overdrive and distortion (the knob that made me choose this pedal among the countless others). Easy access to the battery compartment and has a socket to connect to the mains (unlike my Vox V874 wah which I've reviewed). Great! The manual didn't come with any preset settings instructions however there's a charming diagram of 6 sets of 4 dials so the user could write down their favourite settings.

thejake89
    hella good pedal. i used it when i first started playing and it was good to be able to expirement with and to find the sounds that i liked.
    A Poe
    I found that it sounds better when u turn the level up and the tone, drive, and color down. Its very versatile but not exactly what someone who plays only metal would want.