OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion review by Boss

Boss: OS-2 Overdrive-Distortion

Purchased from: eBay

I play through a Hartke Kickback 120w SS Bass Amp, it's got no distortion or OD of it's own, so I'm forced to use pedals with it if I need some distortion. I've also tried it with a Pignose G40v all-tube amp. I play with a Washburn Lyon guitar, not the best, but it's okay. The pedal can get noisy if you crank any of the knobs up past 5'o clock, but you won't have to crank them up that much anyways to get a nice sound of out the pedal. The effect works well, you can get a good range of tones from it, not massive, but it works pretty well for anything from Blues (Drive and Color at 10'o clock, EQ at about noon)and Rock (Pretty much the same as blues, but about 12-2'o clock, EQ to your liking). You can also get a fair thrash/death metal tone from the pedal, the color knob at about 5'o clock or higher if you don't mind noise, and crank the Drive the EQ to about 4'o clock, it has an Anthrax sound through my set up, pretty much the exact guitar tone from A.I.R or anything off Among the Living. I can get the sounds of a lot of rock/metal artists, though it doesn't work to well for an OD sound, ie classic rock, or stuff like Rush and similer bands. It doesn't have a very OD-like tone, so it's more suited to styles with distortion. One thing I'd like to say though, I've played this pedal with two tube amps, a Peavey 112 Valveking combo, and a Pignose G40v, and it sounded like **** through both of them, though it sounds great with my SS amp... So, maybe something to think about if you have a Peavey or Pignose amp, or something similer. tl; dr: Sounds from blues to metal, don't turn the knobs past 4'o clock without a noisegate, doesn't seem to work too well with tube amps.

I play mostly rock and metal, it works well for most sounds, except a classic rock sound, which it doesn't do to well. It has a very unique sound in general though. I've been playing for about a year, and this is probably my favorite distortion pedal I've played with. I somewhat wish I had known it wasn't quite an OD pedal, but it's nothing serious. If it were stolen or lost I'd probably buy another one, or maybe a Metal Muff... Overall, this is probably one of Boss's better distortion pedals, it's a lot fuller then the DS-1s and DS-2s and miles ahead of the ****ty metal-zone stuff. And holds it's own against other distortion pedals.

This thing is made by Boss, so it could easily survive anything except maybe being dropped in water for awhile. it's extremely tough, though it eats up batteries pretty quickly, my batteries (Duracells, not cheap ones), lasted about 7 hours. So an adapter would be good, especially at a gig, I wouldn't trust it on batteries. I would use this without a backup at a gig, aslong as I have an adapter, and there are no pools around.

This pedal is fairly easy to get a good sound out of, though don't believe the name, it's not really built for an OD sound, the color knob is pretty much like another Drive knob, giving you light, medium or heavy distortion. The other knobs are pretty straight forward, the EQ knob can be adjusted from the midpoint for more lo-mids or high-mids, it doesn't really add treble or bass, it just find tunes the mids, and if you leave it in the middle it has a somewhat thrashy sound. The manual is good, it tells you what each knob does and how to set the pedal up. Though you probably won't need it. Manual is good, doesn't give an OD tone.

skilly1
    is this pedal just the same as using an od3 and a ds1 together or is it not as powerful as them.
    XzZFakaplusZzX
    I like this pedal. I can get metallica or led zepp sound easily. For the price, it just can be good!
    teh_ownerer
    Sick reviews... looking into getting an overdrive pedal but a overdrive/distortion combo sounds awesome... Would it be able to play BTBAM and PTH with a good sound though i wonder??
    Mad Mike 829
    for my first pedal im glad i chose it. its so easy to switc between heavy metal distortion and classic rock overdrive. the construction is super strong and has lasted me a year n a half with no problems i plan on getting more boss stuff
    AC/DC4EVA
    m.o.d.--- : this pedal is what angus uses in live concerts
    angus uses NO PEDALS AT ALL get your facts right
    ihavenoname93
    m.o.d.--- wrote: this pedal is what angus uses in live concerts
    unless youre name is angus and you do live concerts, youre full of bullshit
    Bob_Sagget
    I want an OD-2 b/c i hav a tube amp and I think that this pedal will be too powerful with the distortion of my amp on. I will definetaly look into it though. Oh and 4 the guy who said that Angus Young uses this on stage, you are the most ignorant person I've seen on UG. Please keep your ignorant coments to your self. Thank You. And to the people that are using the review boards for what they are supposed to, thank you as well. Good Day.
    jtbull
    i love the sound, but my wife thinks its louder in general. it seems to be bass heavy and i have played with all the knobs