PH-1R Phaser Review

review (1) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
PH-1R Phaser Reviewed by: _timbo_, on september 29, 2008

Price paid: A$ 60

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: Mine is a non-silver screw version from 1983. Three knobs, it's not that difficult to get a good sound out of it! It has controls for speed (how fast it phases), resonance (for added depth of phase) and depth (adjusts the phasing intensity). Just sit down with it and fiddle with each control so you have an understanding of what each control does aurally and how thay interact with each other. // 10

Sound: Charvel and Tokai guitars and a Marshall Master Lead Combo. The PH1-R adds no noise to my signal and I even place it before distortion. This pedal has to be one of the best phasers ever made. You can dial in heaps of tones, Led Zep, VH to name a couple. Having three controls really lets you shape and tweak this pedal. I also have a transitional period MXR Phase 90 and the PH1-R almost nails it's sound, one revered by many people. But in saying that the Boss can go way beyond the MXR in terms of sound and tone. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Its a Boss, built like a tank, need I say more? I do because ultime-guitar needs to have a certain amount of character in here so you can submit the review. So... Yes I would use it at a gig without a backup because as I said they are as tough as nails, well they probably tougher. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and some "classic" metal from time to time and the PH1-R is the perfect match. Plus it sounds very sexy on clean sounds. I've been playing for 8 years now and this was the second FX pedal I bought (Boss BF-2 flanger popped my stompbox cherry). I have used it pretty much every time I've pluged my guitar in, it's just so much fun to use. I wouldn't trade, sell or lend this thing ever, they are worth a lot more than what I paid and pretty hard to come buy. If you see one, grab it! // 10

Comments