PH-2 Super Phaser review by Boss

Boss: PH-2 Super Phaser

The sound on this is tops. I use a '92 Gibson Les Paul Studio and an mid-90s Mexican Fender Strat, and play through a variety of amps, including Marshalls and Fenders. With both guitars it creates a lush sweeping sounds great for all types of music. I've owned this pedal for about five years, and just today I discovered a previous reviewer who talked about looking under the main board and turning the white trim pot. I tinkered with that a little bit and found that, as that guy said, it gives a much fuller bodied sound. I would recommend doing this to your pedal if you find that when activated, the pedal sounds too trebley -- That's why I did it. (If I rated this before, I probably would have only given the pedal an 8 or 9). Caution: Just make sure not to bend any wires inside or bump anything around too much. There's one wide set of wires that connects the board to the pedal frame that you may worry about bending, but it was perfectly sturdy enough to bend up so you can turn the white plastic knob.

I've been playing for about 8 years now and have been playing rock, jazz, funk, fusion, techno (not with a guitar), alternative rock, etc. and this pedal works well for everything. It thickens the tone when it might normally be thin. Regarding the techno, I've run drum loops and some of my synthesizers throught this green box, and it can definately make some awesome sounds. There aren't any features I hate, but I never use mode '2' that much. It seems to make the center frequency (that the sweep is concentrated around) a little too high pitched and even biting at times, but I do just great using mode '1', which delivers a nice frequency sweep for lower frequency playing, like rhythm parts. When I was buying, I was considering other Boss effects like the BF-2 flanger, and one of the Boss chorus pedals. After trying all of them out, I decided that this phaser had the thickest tone and the most versatility, as it can create chorus-ish sounds, sounds good for chord work, cutoff frequency type effects, etc. If it were stolen I would replace it for sure (given that I have the cash).

Like a rock, without the weight. It's been gigged, dropped, messed with and still works fine.

Simple enough, resonance, rate, depth, mode (1 & 2). There isn't a manual, but one of the other reviewers gave a tip to mod the pedal a little so there is a manual type function.