PH-2 Super Phaser review by Boss

Boss: PH-2 Super Phaser

I got this thing because of mike Eniziger's(INCUBUS) playing and I thought there was something wrong with it becaue the battery light would only light up full red in certian sequences in my chain. It seemed to have a overly metalic sound that I didn't really like at first untill I discovered it's potential using this unique phase sound. I also have a MXR phase 100 pedal in my chain which is real warm and subtle and I was gonna get rid of the PH-2 untill I realized all the sounds I loved and couldn't figure out from Incubus' albums "make yourself" and "morning View" were created using this thing.The break down in "The warmth" where the guitar freaks out in harmonic overtones is mode 2 with depth and res cranked and the rate at about 7 or 8 o'clock.It's also used for the metallic haze sound for the guitar break in "wish you were here" Pretty much the same settings but the rate is faster. I was amazed when I captured the sounds exact. "Nice to know you" intro is mode 1 rate 1 o'clock, depth at about 12 or 1 with some delay and volume knob manipulation.This is why he has two of these things in his rig, there is great sounds on both mode 1 and two for those who look for them and tweak it to perfection.

Overall it is invaluable in my signal chain for the flexibility it provides. Once you find the cool effects it provides you may spend a little time bending down to change them on the fly but there real easy to remember and the mode switch is like two different worlds of tone. Or you have to get two set differently, which is kind of a bummer so I just change it before a song beings.Just remember if you want this thing, nothing is cool right out of the box, maybe we as guitar player's think we'll buy effects plug em in and I will make us sound great but you have to put some work in to it to find the hidden tones (Boss pedals are great for that)And also this pedal is kind of a specialized type of phaser in that it has some great sounds but it is not a be all end type of deal. I need the MXR Phase 100 in my rig for a more tradional sounding phase that is smooth and subtle. The Super Phaser is far from that, in that it is astrongsoundineffect. I would suggest to listen to the aforementioned Incubus songs to hear it in action becauseyou can get those tones exact with it with some tweaking.

No one complains about Boss.

This unit is easy to get goods sounds out of it only if you know what you want. That's what I like about stompboxes as oppossed to rack effects, they make you work a little bit but utimtely you find a unique sound or your trouble. Boss make great pedals that usually have four knobs that really give you alot of options.