PH-2 Super Phaser review by Boss

Boss: PH-2 Super Phaser

In guitar center I went through a PRS Custom 24 through the Phaser and into a Fender deluxe. While the tone isn't quite as pure as the Phase 90, the nicest part of the pedal was the ability to adjust the wet/dry signal with the "depth" knob, which the Phase 90 did not have. This allowed me to dial back the effect and get the subtle tone that I was looking for. There were no problems with noise, but I did hear a very slight volume drop when the pedal is engaged. The other options all worked well, and the "rate" knob had a decent amount of variety. Later when I went home, I hooked it into my pedalboard (which includes various Boss pedals, a Strymon Timeline, and a Crybaby Wah) and had the opportunity to play around with it in my rig (running through a Bugera V22 and a Schecter C-1 Classic). It sounded just as great as in the shop (minus the warmth of a beautiful PRS Custom 24). The only downside I found is that the "mode" knob, which has two modes, became way too treble-heavy when mode II was engaged (through my already treble heavy rig at home).

I love to play progressive rock and other styles that often use an ambient tone from the guitar. This pedal gives me some great options in creating an ambient sound that will compliment other guitar parts. I've been performing out for nearly 5 years and use an Engl Powerball 2 through an assortment of pedals for my main rig, and a Bugera V22 for my compact rig. Before I purchased this I wish I could've had the modes explained a little more, but I love the sound of mode 1 and that is what is important... the sound! Even though it is a digital pedal, it gives me the sound I want and I'm very happy with the "depth" feature so that I can use it very subtly in my songs.

This pedal is one of those on-a-whim buys. For only 49 bucks, plus 10 for the pro-coverage, if it breaks during my using of it I am not worried about it and will replace it with a gift card for some cleaning supplies. So far its been dependable, just like my other Boss pedals have been, and the only complaint with its durability is that the LED light seems to be a bit dimmer from my other Boss pedals and may be hard to see on an outdoor stage (though this is probably a result of it being a used pedal).

I picked this pedal up used from guitar center (and of course added the pro coverage to it). I went in to get some minor accessories and saw one of these and an MXR Phase 90 both used, so I decided to try them both. Throughout the rest of the review I'll explain why I selected the PH-2 over the Phase 90. The sound I was looking at was more of an incubus, light atmospheric sound, and this pedal gave that to me almost instantly. It has 4 knobs on it, which include "rate," "depth," "resonance,", and "mode."