PH-2 Super Phaser review by Boss

Boss: PH-2 Super Phaser

Purchased from: private seller

I bought it used, had no manual added. Even though it is very easy to dial into desired sound - four knobs (each one described in very understandable way). If you want to get subtle-phasing which makes your guitar warmer just put first knob at 9, second 10, third at 12 and you've got it. If you want straight-phaser-hardcore-sound: 11/3/3. Of course, anything in between is possible, so put it in into your rig and have fun! Also, I think it is perfect for beginners who want to make some experiments with their rig: usually you can find PH-2 in nice price, about 30-50$ or so.

OK first of all Japan version sound much better (cleaner and brighter, I guess it is the chip issue) than Taiwan - I had both and Japanese from 1984 kicks ass. This phaser can easily fit into any music styles - oldschool phasing rock, psychedelic clean and anything in between. I use it with Marshall amps (DSL5C combo and JCM800 head with 4x12 cabiinet) and what is MOST important thing with PH-2: DO NOT PUT IT INTO EFFECTS LOOP! It has to be before dirt section - then you'll hear it's best both on clean and driven channel.

Well, like all Boss stompboxes it's made like a super-tank. You can literally jump on it, throw it on the wall, drop it from rooftop and it is very very likely to survive any of this destructive actions. Knobs are big and they turn very smoothly. Switch works very fine, you really do not have to step on it too hard in order to turn PH-2 on. All input/outputs are fine. My Boss PH-2 looks a bit tired, lots of scratch - no wonder since it has 30+ years. It only proves how reliable those pedals are - you can rely on then I guess at any stage and any conditions.

To be honest I am big big fan of Boss - most of stuff in my pedalboard comes right away from them. Therefore I guess that I will not be very impartial person to speak about them, because I love all the pedals and I did not found any of them useless and/or bad-sounding. OK, they got better and worse stuff, like other brands do. I play very wide range of music - everything from metal to jazz and I find this pedal extremely useful in every genre. Phaser are kind of specific - you love them or you hate them.

PeterSpectre
    have to say I love Boss pedals. I've got the Phase shifter PH-3, DD-7 delay and the TU-3 tuner. Love them all