PH-3 Phase Shifter review by Boss

Boss: PH-3 Phase Shifter

Purchased from: Musician's Marketplace

I use this pedal with a Fender amp and it dishes out amazing sounds. For the Incubus techno sound and other those crazy delay tricks, this pedal is it. It combines the phaser and flanger sounds to give something new while also maintaining the normal attributes of them. They sound dampens or softens the distortion when they're used in combination, but still nonetheless very cool. It's quite distinct how the sound starts to die when it's used up the battery, but generally keeps the sound. I've used it with acoustic and electric guitars which differ but still give great sound. It gives a full sound and a variety that is unmatched.

for any style of music, I think this pedal is a really fun toy to play with. It gives a bunch of sounds that I'm sure that could be right for anyone no matter their taste. I paid 150 for it, and I still think it's a pretty good bargain. The sound hasn't failed me once, but it's only flaw is it's battery consumption. I highly recommend this pedal to everyone but there are still plenty of other pedals if you hesitate.

The pedal is quite dependable, I've had it for 2 years but it drains the battery like milk. I usually play for a couple hours, and I believe even with fresh batteries, the sound grew weak due to the batteries draining. However it wasn't a problem after I used a cable. I wouldn't generally trust this at a gig unless I brought my cable along with me. But other than that, I've had no technical problems with it for 2 years I've owned it.

It's easy to get a good sound of it, however this pedal has so many capabilities it's honestly hard to play with them all. The PH-3 Phase Shifer manual gave 3 pages of settings I could use including tremolo, flanger, warped flanger, etc. It comes with 4 knobs: rate, depth, resonance and a vibration selector (I think that's what it called). The last knob goes from 2,4,8,10,12,Rise,Fall and Step