PH-3 Phase Shifter review by Boss

Boss: PH-3 Phase Shifter

You can get some great phasing from this pedal but I would first like to tell you a about how I've found it useful as a tone pedal as well. You can get some wacky tones, if you turn rate and depth to their minimum you can play around with the different modes and resonance to get some cool electronic sounding tones. The phases work just as you expect and given a bit of time you can set them up to mimic your favourite artists. The standard 4, 8, 10, 12 stage phase modes all sound class with and without distortion. There are some very accurate sound demos on the Boss website. The manual describes the Rise and Fall phase modes as phase with a continuously falling/rising sensation. These sound great when used on songs by Coldplay and Radiohead, or even with a bit of distortion to kick it up with Muse. I suggest you try these mode out in a shop or listen to the audio demos on the Boss website, they really do kick ass. I've had absoluted no problems at all with noisy lines even when used with 3 or 4 other pedals. I use this a lot with a cheap "top twenty" guitar that's older than me, it's from the '60s I think, but even with it's crackling pots and decapitated frets it sounds amazing. I've also used this with Squire and Fender starts, Epiphones and an Ibenez. It sounds great with all of them. I've also tried it with a wide range of amps. The biggest ones were 100watts. I've not had any problems with noise or lose of tone with any of them.

If this were stolen I was defiantly feel the lost and be inclined to buy a new one. I love the new Rise And Fall modes added to this model they sounds great all the time. The only thing I could even dream of adding to this would be some sort of distorted octave effect, but I've not seen that in another pedal so I douth that will ever happen.