PH-3 Phase Shifter review by Boss

Boss: PH-3 Phase Shifter

For the amount of effects packed into this little green stompbox you'd think that they cut a few corners on the quality. Well, yes. I would have to say I've heard much better phase sounds out of cheaper pedals. Many of the various phase sounds don't add flavor to your sound as much as they "take over" your sound. Most of the time I have to keep the res knob low so that my overall tone can come through over the phaser, especially when I use distortion. With that said I still like to keep this stompbox in my pedalboard. The variety of sounds you can get out of this thing is incredible. I can get tremolo effect, a wierd techno-dely sound (thanks to the cool step function), and an awesome underwater, aquatic sound. I use this pedal mainly with my Jackson Kelly Proffesional and my Boss MT-2 and DigiTech XP400 Reverberator and it works very well with them. The Metal Zone and Phase Shifter seem to be made for each other.

Overall this pedal is a dream come true if you are looking for a diverse and compact phaser. I don't use it too often because I mainly play metal and only need it for intros or interludes but this thing is perfect for any genre. For what I payed I wish I could've recieved a little more but if you can find this used or on sale I suggest that you get it if you need a good phaser. What I love the most about this pedal is the various sounds you can get. The step function would have to be my favorite part of this pedal. What I hate is how it masks your tone rather than blend with it, but with the right settings this won't be an issue. I wouldn't buy it again if it were lost, but only because paying another $100 for the same pedal wouldn't sit right with me. This pedal is pretty much great for all your phasing needs!

I probably wouldn't gig with this unless I had the settings worked out prior to the show. Also this thing just eats up batteries so I suggest getting an adaptor for it. Other than that this thing is completely reliable. It's built for war and can handle all the stomping and smashing you can dish out.

From the get-go this pedal isn't too difficult to set up. If you know anything about phasers the rate, depth, and res(resonance) knobs should be self-explanatory. The stage knob may confuse those Who don't know about phasers but after a few minutes of dinking around you can find the sounds you want and start jamming. One thing that can be an issue though is the fact that a certain setting on a particular phaser stage (say 8-stage) may not sound good when switched to another (10 or 12-stage), so you kind of have to get a feel for what settings work best with the type of phaser sound you're using. The manual gives a very basic overview of the pedal but doesn't leave out any vital information and should be easy for beginners to understand. There is also a set tempo function which is very useful if you have problems getting the right rate on your phaser but getting in and out of this mode can be frustrating at first.