PH-3 Phase Shifter review by Boss

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Boss: PH-3 Phase Shifter

Purchased from: eBay

I've used a Jackson DKMGT Dinky with it. Also, a Squier Affinity Strat, and a Gibson Les Paul Supreme. I've run them all through a Marshall MG250DFX Combo amp, the Squier was utterly terrible with it. The sound was all flappy, and thin, and did not suit my likings. With the Jackson, the sound got better, a bit clearer, and with the Les Paul, the sound got even clearer. To suit my needs, I keep the pedal on a low volume, with low settings. Overall the sounds are a bit thin, but they can suit some people. I'm not insulting the pedal, I'm just saying it doesn't suit me. The phasing is actually good.

I play music in the style of Pink Floyd, to Led Zeppelin, and from Metallica, to Children Of Bodom, and you don't often hear a phaser in Metallica, Led Zeppelin, or Children Of Bodom, although you hear a bit in Pink Floyd. I would need a clearer sounding pedal to get Pink Floyd sounds for use with my setup (Even though you don't hear much phasing in Pink Floyd Songs), because I wouldn't want to buy an American Strat just for this issue. I wish I had looked in to phasers more before making a purchase, because in general, I'm not a fan of phasers. If it were stolen or lost, I would move on. Overall, I don't like the pedal in general. I wish it had less sweep because it is just too much for me. And I wish it would be clearer and sound less thin! I just really wish it was clearer and sounded less thin, basically! Thank you :)

I would never bring it to a gig because I don't like the sound, although the metal casing seems like it would last, and the knobs don't seem like they're coming off any time soon.

This pedal's knobs give very different sounds depending on how you set them, however they're all based upon the same thing, Phasing. There are no presets included, and no user-programmable presets available for programming. Although the pedal is easy to use, the sound can get very muddy, and unclear at times, and the sound is a lot of treble. Mine didn't come with a manual, although I assume that it is simply what Boss have on their website for this pedal.

controlfreak
    ^the ph-2 is a 10 and 12 stage phaser. the PH-1r is a 4 stage. the PH-3 is 4, 8, 10 and 12 stage. of course the PH-2 sounds better than the PH-3 and the PH-1r sounds better than the PH-2.
    aaciseric
    Were the last two reviews written on the same day? thats unusual, well anyway I was considering buying this pedal but you've made it seem a bit rubbish so I doubt I will anymore.