PH-3 Phase Shifter review by Boss

Boss: PH-3 Phase Shifter

I use this pedal with a Squier Strat (new pickups) and a 30W Vox amp. I also played this using an Epiphone Les Paul as well, both gave similar results. I also use this with a Boss DS-1 Distortion. The pedal itself doesn't give and buzz and I had no problems with feedback, I don't play on high gain either. To be honest, the phaser is really digital. The effects aren't weak or anything, they are just really digital.

I play everything really. I play classic rock, rock, hard rock, metal, blues, bluegrass. This pedal is good for more modern rock songs that use phaser, and possibly metal. That's really it to be honest. I really wish I would have boughten the MXR Phaser. This pedal is a digital phaser, while the MXR is an Analog phaser. If you are looking for that Eddie Van Halen phaser sound, do not go with this, go with an analog phaser such as the MXR (which EVH used himself). If this was stolen I wouldn't buy it again. I would go with the MXR. It's all about what you are looking for I guess.

This pedal is encased in metal and thus it won't break anytime soon. Also, you can register the product for free and it comes with a 5 year warrenty. You can definately gig with it, and you don't need a backup unless. Most batteries last 90 hours, as long as you don't leave it plugged in, else the battery will continue to drain. Buy the Boss PSA-Adapter or a Daisy chain adapter if you have multiple pedals.

This pedal isn't that hard to use. There are four knobs: rate, depth, res., and the last knob (stage) controls the type of phaser. The guy from the music store gave me the manual for the RV-5 Reverb so I had to download it from the Boss site. It gives a bunch of sample settings and explains what each knob does. The first knob controls how fast the effect is, the depth pretty much controls the depth of the filter, the resonance controls the strength of the effect and the stage knob sets which type of phaser which inclues a 4, 8, 10, and 12 stage phaser, along with a rise and fall mode, and a step mode.