PH-3 Phase Shifter review by Boss

Boss: PH-3 Phase Shifter

Price paid: C$ 100

Purchased from: Long & Mcquades

This pedal has a reputation for being a 'tone-sucker,' and I can see why! When the effect is engaged, there is a significant drop in volume and your tone becomes somewhat compressed. This tone-compression is so noticeable, that I often use the pedal as a simple Compressor - If I lower the depth, resonance and rate of the effect, of course. As a 'classic' analog phaser, this pedal really does not do the job. You can spend less money on a higher quality phaser tone, with other brands and models. The Pros: This pedal is a terrific noise-maker. I often like to experiment with interesting sound effects, and this pedal sounds great! For a really 'chubby' Dub-reggae sound, this pedal is terrific! For a really 'wet' sounding rhythm of funk tone, this pedal is also great.

My overall impression of this phaser pedal is that it is a terrible phaser; But a great pedal in general. If you are looking for a classic phaser tone, this pedal is not for you! If you're interested in interesting sounds, ambient tones and variety - Then this pedal is worth taking a look at. I play a lot of reggae, and spacey type music (Clean tones), and this pedal really works for that. Not unlike many Boss pedals, the tone of this pedal is very artificial... But that's what I love about the pedal. If the pedal were lost or stolen, I would consider buying another one, as it frequently used in my rig.

This pedal seems to be built like a tank. I have owned this for aprox. 1 year and I have had zero issues with power or anything breaking. Boss makes very sturdy equipment. I use a daisy chain to power my pedals, and have never used batteries for this pedal (It requires a 9-volt), but I have been told that it really sucks the life out of batteries. This seems important, as it wouldn't be good to have your rig 'die' on you mid-show, or in any situation.

Engaging the pedal is simple and obvious. If you are familiar with the standard setup for any phaser, you should not have any difficulty using this pedal. The four knobs on the control panel of the pedal are; Rate, Depth, Resonance and "stage," respectively. The "stage" knob is a selector switch to choose between different 'voiced' phasers. This may be confusing at first, but some experimenting with the ears lets you understand. There is a "tap-tempo" feature which makes the pedal very convenient, but I could not see this function being used in a live setting. To engage the 'tap-tempo' mode, you must hold down the pedal for 2-seconds. Also, once in tap-tempo mode, you must disengage this mode before you are able to turn off the pedal itself. This is difficult to use and inconvenient. The manual for the pedal was simple, clear and reasonable.

potato_couch89
    ph-2 sounds better.. not really the most interesting phase shifter out there.. though i own one and just sold it