PS-5 Super Shifter review by Boss

Boss: PS-5 Super Shifter

Running a Xaviere XV-500 (Les Paul copy), GFS Crunchy PAFs, Crate V18 tube amp, and chained it with a DigiTech Bad Monkey. Sounds are amazing- this pedal opens up a huge new sound library to pull from. Gives you nice backup sounds to your playing (as though there's a bass player with you), or high harmonies to give you that Scorpions / Judas Priest / Queen sound. If you like 90's hair bands, then the detune setting gives you a wonderful, open 12 string sound (think Tesla, Cinderella). Don't expect the pedal to harmonize or shift chords- it won't do it well at all. Keeps up well with about three notes maximum- any more and it's noisy. The trem arm setting is cool to mess with, but too touchy. The flutter setting is cool as well, gives you that old school Johnny Cash vibe, but it also is touchy. I think there's an add on pedal for this device, but in my opinion, not worth it just for those two effects.

I play mainly classic rock, and this pedal is a great match to it. It's given me a lot of new, versatile sounds to play with, and even compliments some of the older sounds I was comfortable with on my amp / Bad Monkey. I've been playing for about four years now and this pedal was a great purchase. If it were stolen I would replace. I think the bigeest thing for anyone buying this is to realize that this pedal is like adding a new group of sounds that your equipment can make now- whether it's harmonizing, phase shifting, detune, this pedal does them all quite well, it's what I consider a great pedal.

Heavy and quite reliable- by Boss, nice work! I don't gig, but if I did, I would be confident this could take quite a few bumps. It makes the Bad Monkey seem like a flyweight, and I thought that was quite solid. I would use it without a backup on a gig, and in the future I would get an adaptor for it.

Boss PS-5...Takes some time to get your sounds out of it- read the manual, please. If you have more music theory background you will get more out of this pedal quickly, but if not, some playing around will be required to get a few sounds you like. It's simply not that easy to use if you are a novice.

noisewall11
    i know alot of people think this pedal is useless, crap, ext. and need to know music theory and have an exp. pedal just to get the full use, but i bet this thing is f***** loads of fun if your into experimental