PS-5 Super Shifter review by Boss

Boss: PS-5 Super Shifter

Purchased from: eBay

Setup is: Standard Fender Telecaster, Korg tuner, the PS5 into a Carlsbro amp with the dry output (output 2) and through output 1 a into a Boss BD2 and a Big Muff then a Blackstar HT60 stage. The pedal isn't noisy but sucks a very small amount of tone in the trem arm mode but that's barely noticeable unless listening very intensely. This pedal is very easy to get a DigiTech Whammy sound out of and has tons more features, I can get a jack white octave up and down sound easily and even two up or down. Using the detune setting and some of the delay on you can get a nice pixies rhythm sound, think caribou or where is my mind. The flutter also works great, muse use that sort of effect a lot, great "Knights Of Cydonia" type sound, harmonist setting is very effective as well for solos. The trem arm function is great for solos and riffs, like the intro to lonely boy. Also the pitch shift mode can be set to half a step up and down and because it's polyphonic you can play chords and they'll come out perfect but half a step, or more, either way depending how you set it. Very useful function that avoids fiddly retuning on stage. Been completely blown away by this pedal it's just so diverse and useful for so many things that you wouldn't expect from similar pedals.

I play mainly garage rock/grungy blues in my band but it works well with all other styles I play, a lot more useful than I knew it would be, would definitely recommend it to anyone. Tried a Micro POG, DigiTech Whammy, a Boss PA6, and a Boss Super Octave, and it topped all of them by miles, keeps up/tracks very well and has the most functions, all of which I find useful and useable. If it were stolen I would buy a new one as soon as possible, not that I'd let it out of my sight long enough for it to be nicked. Definitely the best octave pedal I've used, and the other features just make it even better.

Dependable but battery compartment comes loose quick. Would and have gigged without a backup. It's a Boss so naturally it's gonna be strong, got a nice but of weight to it which is nice because it stops it feeling like a flimsy piece of crap that will break if you tread on it a bit heavily. Obviously you aren't going to shoot it and expect it to work but it is up to gigging pressure, as I'm sure you know stomp boxes don't have it easy on stage but I'm not worried at all about this one, so long as I tighten the battery compartment before I go on so it doesn't spring up halfway through the set.

Very easy to use, manual explains it very well, quick to get the sound you want out of it. Has four knobs but one doubled up so there's 5 really and they're all fairly self explanatory. Some of the knobs aren't relevant in certain modes but it's easy to learn what does what, it's a short but informative manual which gives some fairly useful guideline settings which with a little fiddling can be fine tuned to exactly what you're after. Obviously not as simple as a distortion pedal but not complex either, I'm giving it a ten because any moron who can read can use this easily.