PW-10 V-Wah review by Boss

Boss: PW-10 V-Wah

Purchased from: Sam Ash, Cerritos, CA

I use this wah with my Ibanez Jet King or RG350DX straight to either a Fender Frontman 15G or my beloved Vox Brian May Special. The overall sound is great, even from my crappy little Fender pracice amp. Unfortunately, I don't use any other effects in the signal path, because the wah doesn't have a hardwired true bypass, and it muddys up the signal with other effects. The wahs are excellent, some like the bad horsie emulation are not exactly spot-on, but they still sound great anyways. The onboard distortions are alright, mostly because they're a b--ch to set up, but are best suited for practice, with the exception of the preset distortion/wah combos (accessible by putting pressure on the heel of the wah, and cycling through the red, green and yellow colors of the led), which sound amazing. You can get sounds from an excellent funk wah sound, to the Kirk Hammett wah, to crazy synth indutrial-ish sounds, to some weird talking sounds (you can literally make your guitar say "oh yeah!" and "wow").

I love it! I've been playing for 3 years now, and it suits my versatile style just right. I play everything from old school funk like brick house to Killswitch Engage and Manson stuff to Ozzy and such. It tries too hard to replace your entire wah/distortion setup you may have, and falls short of doing so. But, it is a great standalone wah with a variety of sounds, and if you somehow forget your distortion pedal at home, this will pull you through at a gig. I compared it to the wahs that it modeled (Crybaby, Vox, Bad Horsie, etc.) and chose this because it could those basic sounds and more. If it got stolen, I'd hunt the guy down, force him to give it back, and smack him upside the head with it, which would really hurt. The only thing I wish it had was true bypass.

Dude, it's a Boss! This thing is built like a tank. Sure, it's larger and heavier than most wah pedals, but I can step on it with my huge size 11 harley davidson boots, and it can take the abuse. I've dropped it, and it still works great. I'm going to use it at a gig in may without a backup, because I won't need one (of course, I will take out the 6 AA batteries and use a power adapter). It's all-metal construction and 5 year warranty guarantee I can use this for years to come.

The basic sounds are great from the get go, and it's pretty obvious and easy to use. The manual is clear and makes sense. The only problem is that when you want to start editing the onboard distortions and the wah "q" settings and such, it becomes a real bitch, but once you get past the frustration, it becomes an invaluable pedal.