PW-10 V-Wah review by Boss

Boss: PW-10 V-Wah

Purchased from: Offbeat Music

I am using it with a Schecter Omen-6 guitar and Roland Cube-15 amp. It sounds great, and turning up the "Drive" knob gives it sort of a delay effect, pretty cool and easy to adjust. The effects seemed weak at first but I realized the upping the "intensity" knob actually seemed to level out the difference between no effects and full effects. A little counterintuitive, but once you learn how the knob works it is a piece of cake. I can effortlessly adjust the amount of wah I want in the sound. I bought this pedal primarily because I was learning the song "Bulls on Parade" by Rage Against The Machine, and playing the opening hook (bow-wow wicki wow-wow wicki wicki wicki) on my guitar sounded very similar to Tom Morello's guitar, and the fact the there are 4 or 5 Vintage sounds (such as the Cry Baby) programmed into the pedal means that virtually any guitarist's sound can be mimicked. I haven't really gone into trying them out yet, because I am so satisfied with my current sound, but I have a feeling I won't be disappointed. The distortion "Drive" knob makes a sick sound, sort of a gritty delay, but I haven't really explored that either. For extra credit there is also a synth bass setting for those Who play bass. Overall, I find nothing wrong with the pedal's sounds.

I play all kinds of rock music, namely Rage with this pedal, and it sounds awesome. Like I said before, with fully customizable and Vintage sounds, I'm sure amyone can find what they want with this pedal. This is my only effects pedal, and less than one year of experience playing guitar did not leave me out to dry with this pedal. I wouldn't mind having less options and Vintage sounds on it, because I don't really use them all, but hey, the more the merrier. This pedal is irreplaceable in my opinion, I would hate to have something to happen to it out of the warranty because then I'm out of another $160. I definetly like being able to get the exact sound that I want out of this pedal, even if it means having to learn how to use it properly first. A quick 10 minute read through of the manual alleviated any problems and/or questions I had. The reason I picked this particular pedal was because I was recommended it and told it was the best on the market, I definetly see the truth in that staement. The only thing that could make it better would be a free cable or something, but there really is no way to make the pedal itself better. Boss really has created a top of the line pedal with PW-10.

Being made by Boss, and carrying a five-year warranty out of the box, I assume this is a sturdy pedal. If I played guitar in a band, I don't think I would have a problem going on stage with this without a backup. Of course, I have never had any problems on stage before, on drums or whatever, so I really can't relate. But seriously, I don't think anything would happen to this pedal if I treated it properly.

This pedal creates a very high quality and heavily customizable sound. Once you get the hang off all of the settings (3), you can get just about any sound out of it. The manual was very clear and easy to understand, wasn't missing anything and showed me just how to get the sound I wanted. You can also create and save up to 3 custom wah sounds using the settings on the pedal. All you have to do to Switch between them is tap the pedal's heel button. The pedal also has adjustable resistance, and is set to a good level of resistance out of the box. Only problem is that before I learned how the pedal really worked, I kept switching settings while playing with it (the heel has a sensor that switches settings when it is activated) and this made it really hard to keep the sound I wanted. However, after learning how to toggle the heel sensor, this was not a problem.