PW-10 V-Wah review by Boss

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Boss: PW-10 V-Wah

I'm using it with my Ibanez GAX and starter pack amp, and so far I'm struggling to spot the real differences in distortion settings from standard. I tried to set it to model a Big Muff, but as far as I can tell there's very little change; definitely not enough to get the Nirvana/Mudhoney-type sound I want. The wah on most settings is also pretty weak, however I like the Uni-Vibe and the voice setting quite a bit so I basically stick to those now, and it usually doesn't let me down here. But for something that advertises so many different sounds, having no real distortion changes and only two decent wah settings is a shame.

As I said before I play Grunge with some metal, psychedelic and hardcore influences. 60% of the time if I keep it within its comfort zone, the Boss does a good job for a first wah. But for what I paid and for what it promises, 60% of the time isn't good enough. In hindsight, I probably should have gotten a Crybaby, which may be less fancy but does the job better. As it stands, since this is the only pedal I currently have, I'm gonna look into getting some extra distortion to support it, and strictly running it on the UniVibe and Voice settings.

Basically it feels like it's built to survive a nuclear bomb. My main problem with it is that often when I stamp on it a bit hard while soloing, it rapidly changes settings so that I can find myself playing with a sound I didn't want, and this gets annoying so I probably wouldn't use it when I start gigging. But I don't know if this is a common problem or reserved for my pedal.

It's quite intuitive to adjust the wah; just plug it in and play with the wah knobs until you find a setting you like. Distortion is more complex, but you can get used to it. The manual is simple and easy to figure out. In terms of simplicity, it does alright.