PW-2 Power driver review by Boss

Boss: PW-2 Power driver

Purchased from: Privately

I use this primarily with a Fender Jaguar running through a Vox valve amp. I also use many effects on several chains. Don't get confused with the name of the pedal. This is a very unique form of Overdrive - very grungy, muddy and heavy. You have to tweak the two 'tone' controls very carefully. With a low drive setting, you can get a very mellow, bassy distortion which is perfect for intermissions and soft solos. This pedal can also boost another distortion pedal very effectively. For example, i use this to boost the distortion on the chorus of Incubus' New Skin.

I play my own songs mostly, although our band covers the likes of Incubus, Mr Bungle, Jamiroqui and Millencolin. This pedal is hardly an effect by itself, yet it compliments others excellently. If it were stolen, I would definitely find another one (although i dont think they make this anymore). If I had the original packaging or manual, I could understand this much more. Nonetheless, it's a good pedal.

This is a pedal that doesn't eat up the battery power like other pedals, so I shouldn't need a backup. It's durable and can withstand a hammering like other Boss pedals. However, its not ideal as a single effect for distortion and/or Overdrive. It's probably best you buy a turbo distortion pedal or overdriver first and get this later on.

This is a standard Boss single pedal with 4 controls. The level control is simply a volume knob which is quite sensitive. Then there are two controls to alter the type of distortion. Oddly enough, these are called 'fat' and 'muscle'. Then there is a drive control to alter the amount of distortion. Because I bought this from a friend, I couldn't get a manual. It's quite simple to use, nevertheless, provided that you know what you want.