PW-2 Power driver review by Boss

Boss: PW-2 Power driver

Purchased from: Tamsta

Four knobs. I dislike that bass and mid are labeled as "fat" and "muscle" - it is not apparently clear what is wand and childish, to say the least. Maybe BOSS folks was struck by DOD crazy labeling virus, but it is not funny. Happy that BOSS did not stick to this naming with their recent suggestions. It is easy to see controls in the dark. Pedal is not overly touchy so minor tweaks takes you out of this world. Always possible to max everything out and rock out. But this is not one trick pony - search and you will definitely find some sweet spots. A bit too much volume for my tastes, but possible to get unity level. Battery compartment is easily accessible as in every other BOSS pedal.

I play blues/rock/punk style and this pedal is good for a heavy guitar duties. It is not very responsive to guitar volume - no cleanup to seek. It goes from mid to high gain distortion. Tons of volume. It is in vein with EHX Muff style pedals - it overtakes your tone. Makes sense, since it was released in big grunge craze. It has some fuzzy quality to its distortion. And with EQ tweaking it can go from Rolling Stones "Satisfaction" to nu-metal and beyond. Never tried this with another guitarist, but in power trio I did not get lost in a mix with it. Plays nice with other gear. Put overdrive after it and you will get smooth lead tone. Personally I prefer it raw.

BOSS! You will die sooner than this thing will... Jacks are solid. Power connector sits firmly in place (not unlike EHX Little Big Muff). Painting may scratch away after few decades of overuse. I'll bet you could play monster ice hockey match and still play with it at the end. Weakest spot is o-ring on battery screw hole, that rubber thing can be easily damaged if you try to unscrew it without firmly depressing pedal. Switching is solid and reliable - does not require double takes (unlike DigiTech pedals).

Okay it is good pedal for heavier soundscapes. Now I'm leaning into garage rock, so only use germanium fuzz face... But back on topic: want grunge - it has it, want something heavier - please do, want something lighter - get SD-1 or DS-1. It is rare beast. I went to store looking for some fuzzy distortion and tried all pedals under $100 and this won. I love fuzz vibe which this pedal possesses. Well, when I need to have guitar Armageddon - it is my weapon of choice. It is a good pedal for sure, try it if you find one on hand!

pieraga