RC-20XL Loop Station review by Boss

Boss: RC-20XL Loop Station

Purchased from: eBay

My signal runs from a BC Rich Bronze-Series Beast to the RC-20XL, then on to a Line 6 Flextone III Plus. There is no extra noise added by this pedal, but there is a loss of tone when connected after distortion. The instrument, microphone and auxiliary inputs all sound great. The built-in guide tones are pretty weak, but I use them as a tempo marker.

I play mostly metal and shred. This pedal works great because the instrument volume does not compete with the loop's volume. I have been playing for about 4 years, and I don't know why I hadn't gotten this pedal earlier. It is great for forming a one-man band experience as well as practicing your soloing and improvisation. If it was lost or stolen, I would definately buy it again, after beating the person that took it! I compared this with the DigiTech JamMan, and I found that both pedals sound exactly the same, but I chose the Boss RC-20XL because it was cheaper. It would be nice if it included a Boss FS-5U footswitch to cycle through the loops or play a phrase in reverse, but it's not a necessity. Do yourself a favor and check out this amazing pedal.

Like all Boss pedals, this thing is built like a tank. I would definately use this in a gig without a backup. It's also best to use this unit with a power supply, as it eats batteries like there's no tomorrow. I have dropped this pedal on the ground from about 6 inches (by accident! ) and there is absolutely no visible damage, and the unit still functions perfectly.

My RC-20XL was made in 2004, but is still in mint condition. The manual is very easy to read - it even has a Quick Start page, allowing you to get killer loops right out of the box! It's great to have one pedal for creating phrases, and another to stop and tap tempo. Definately a welcome addition to both a beginner and a virtuoso's pedalboard.

BobChicken
    justin_fraser
    The RC-2 is just fine really. Its only a single pedal, but basically does what this thing does in a more compact way. Its less than half the price as well.
    TabooTapeworm
    they mentioned that you can slow down a CD player on this thing. Is it possible to slow down an MP3 also?
    travd92
    BobChicken wrote: looks good... i think im gonna get this pedal unless anyone can recommend a better one? and how much is this in UK?
    i like this, but i would rather get a digitech jamman. its the exact same thing except the jamman has 24 minutes instead of only 11. and if you want to go out, you can upgrade the jamman to 6 1/2 hours.
    DeanMarkleysDad
    if your looking for a looper to use for jamming or over dubbing without tap dancing id grab a line 6 dl4, its a looper with 4 buttons and its a great delay pedal.